Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me a compressor (for ghetto tubeless tyres)
  • Overshoot
    Free Member

Ive had a look in Halfords for tyre compressors and frankly none of them man enough for the job – can anyone recommend a compressor (preferably 12V)?

Looking to fit non-tubeless Maxxis tyres (Aspen, Advantage, Medusa) to Stans 355 rims with Stans sealant.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got the more expensive version but works great 🙂 This one is £130 from machinemart

brassneck

I don't think there is a 12v one man enough to do it – interested to know if there is though. It's all about the initial oomph.

If you want to have portability, use CO2 to seat initially, then fill with sealant through the valve, and pump backup with a track pump. Canisters are fairly cheap on EBay for 12/16g

alexxx
    Free Member

ive never ever had a problem with a track pump, i just think people are lazy and not willing to learn to seat tyres properly

hug
    Free Member

I reckon you need one with a tank attached as it's the initial rush of air that initially gets the tyre bead to seal. just as a tip though if you put extra tape around the rim (i just used insulating tape the proper rim tape)it make the tyre bead tighter thus seals better & then a track pump should do it

hug
    Free Member

That was meant to say ..insulating tape under the proper rim tape.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well I use mine for many other things other than tubless tyres, non-tubless tyres, air line for cleaning, car tyres, spraying… so they are useful. I have to say that pumping up the tyre with and inner tube, leave overnight then inflating ubless works very well with new/stubbon tyres 🙂

i just think people are lazy and not willing to learn to seat tyres properly

Sometimes STW members do annoy me with their sweeping generalisations 👿

speaker2animals

I've been looking at the cost of small air receivers (2 to 5 litre range) so that you could make a manual unit. The cost of new receivers gets close the price you can pick up a cheapo compressor for. Especially by the time you've added other fixings to make it work. Maybe if one was brave and was a good mechanic you could whip up a cheapo from a empty calor gas bottle? Just need to be able to add a pressure gauge (not essential) and either an inlet line from your pump to the receiver and one to the tyre valve or a switchable divert valve. I reckon you would also need a spring control valve to control flow to the tyre.

uplink
    Free Member

There's a thread on here somewhere [with photos] of a DIY air tank fashioned from a 2 litre pop bottle & duct tape

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have this one. All the machinemart/axminster/screwfix type ones are very similar

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-AWC25HP-Compressor-21377.htm

Axminster are good to deal with though.

z1ppy

The Aldi £80 2.5Hp 270L/m or 9.5cfm with 3yrs warrenty one is still available in some stores, and it's surprising how many Aldi stores there can be locally..

br
    Free Member

Out on the trail I always carry a couple of co2 canisters, but at home I've just a basic screwfix one. It came with a kit to do everything, but the tyre inflator was crap, especially with a presta valve widget.

So I also bought a good quality tyre inflator.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88444/Power-Tools/Air-Tools/Metabo-RF363-Tyre-Inflator

scruff
    Free Member

I bought an Aldi one in the last sale of them. It is superbly useful and makes me think I should have got one sooner, although I hardly ever had trouble inflating my tyres with track pump- a compressoor just makes it a 2 second job. I change tyres more now and baby buggy punctures, trailer punctures etc etc are dispatched with such haste now I look forward to punctures. I got a tyre inflator from halfrauds, its a bit w4nk.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ive never ever had a problem with a track pump, i just think people are lazy and not willing to learn to seat tyres properly

You big girl! I could get conti's to seat with a mini pump.

On a serious note, I can't get non UST maxxis to seat even with a new track pump.

m_t_b
    Free Member

I have been looking at one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Michelin-hi-power-rapid-tyre-inflator-12260-/170493029560?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item27b22d2cb8

think its up to it? the info on another site says it can do a car tyre in 2 mins… is that quick ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a compressor (for ghetto tubeless tyres)’ is closed to new replies.