• This topic has 16 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by rents.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a commuting bike
  • guitarsammy
    Free Member

I commute year-round daily from a village in the Tyne Valley to Newcastle upon Tyne (about 7 miles).

My current bike is a Revolution Cross (either the 2012 or 2013 model, I can’t remember). It’s been fine, but it’s starting to get a bit tired (after several thousand miles) and I’d like to relegate it to use as a spare.

My ride is a mixture of gravelled and paved (tarmac) cycleways, with a couple of sections of road thrown in. The cycleways can be fairly muddy in the winter. There are some long not especially steep inclines, and a very steep short hill on my way home.

My initial thought was to buy another cyclocross bike, but I’ve been reading about gravel road bikes and that kind of thing and becoming progressively more unsure about what I want. Can anyone recommend a bike that fits the following criteria:

– Drop handlebars;
    – Under £1000 (I’d be buying through Cyclescheme);
    – Able to take mudguards;
    – Able to take panniers if I do any touring on it;
    – In total, the journeys take me about 35 minutes, which isn’t bad, but it’d be good to shave some time off the journey, so perhaps I can find something a bit ‘quicker’ than the Revolution?
    – There’s sometimes a lot of glass on my route. The only tyres (I’ve tried several) that have stood up have been Schwalbe Marathon plus, so I’d need something that could take a set of these.

Thanks!

Furious

In the STW tradition of recommending what you’ve got – GT Grade.

Mine is the 105 Carbon but there are many models below that

irvb

In the STW tradition of recom….. etc.

Spesh Sequoia

lunge

PX London Road/Kaffenback?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Genesis Vagabond? Whilst on paper it wouldn’t be quicker but you would be able to hustle it about a bit more. Would make a cracking tourer too.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Cotic Escapade?

kimbers

Kona roves on sale to make way for the new version

steezysix
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of steel frames but you’ll get more for your money with aluminium. A Pinnacle Arkose ticks all your boxes and would be a good choice. Good value (various spec levels) and people really rate them!

shermer75
    Free Member

Yeah for that price a Pinnacle Arkose is prob the way to go- lots of love for it on this forum…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Arkose X 2017

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Yeah probably an Arkose for that money and cycle scheme availability.
    I ride mostly the same route (waggonway, newborn, scotswood) and Conti 4 seasons have remained bombproof and are a damn sight ligther and more pleasant riding than Marathons.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Have a look at the Cannondale CAADX 105, some bargains to be had on the 2017 models , I’ve just bought one 😆

peteimpreza

Cotic Escapade

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

My local bike shop sells these on the cycle to work scheme
    https://www.orrobikes.com/bikes/road/terra-gravel-road

jonba
    Free Member

Genesis, Pinnacle.

But have a look on CDNE bike sales on facebook. Plenty of CX bikes come up on there. CXNE and NECCL pages occasionally too.

Schwalbe marathon for tyres. My bike joice is a steel disc singlespeed cx bike (Pompetamine). Reliable, strong, rides like a tank.

slowoldman

Ooh that ORRO looks quite nice.

rents
    Free Member

There is nothing like a new bike But, there is nothing as comfy as an old faithful bike. Just upgrade the worn out bits of the old ride? It feels good totally wearing stuff out then replacing it with new shiney bits.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a commuting bike’ is closed to new replies.