Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me a commuter bike please!
  • squealer
    Free Member

I’m moving house shortly and will have a 16 mile commute each day so I need a commuter bike and have no idea what I’m looking for.

I want flat bars, not bothered about suspension but would like discs so I think I’m looking at hybrids but I also like the look of the planet x dirty Disco flat bar cyclocross and Their flat bar road bike. Probably worth mentioning that I want to carry a baby seat on the back as well so not sure a carbon frame is a good idea?

Honestly, what do people think is better suited, a flat bar road bike, cyclocross or a hybrid.

Thanks in advance!

crftom
    Free Member

Have a look at what whyte have to offer

velopete
    Free Member

Carbon maybe doesn’t take the knocks like other materials. You fail to say what your commute is like. You could look at some of the white cyclocross bikes

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Carbon maybe doesn’t take the knocks like other materials.

That old chestnut again!

Carbon is now as tough as old boots, and more than tough enough for a commuter bike.

+1 for a look at Whyte’s new range. Very impressed.

squealer
    Free Member

Quick off the Mark today!

The commute is hilly roads with a bad surface mainly, will take a look at the whyte’s thanks

Northwind

Buying new? The old Revolution Courier Race was absolutely superb- tough 700c rims, 1×8 gearing judged just right, and a proper flat bar road riding position rather than just being an old mountain bike or a bodged road bike. New one isn’t a patch on it though.

Carrera Gryphon Hybrid would do the job well too.

TBH though over distance I really like my drops- I wasn’t a fan at first, in fact I think they’re pretty awful for some riding but the range of riding positions is excellent and that really helps comfort.

jonk

Scott Sub is a really good commuter bike i loved mine.

mrmo
    Free Member

I would suggest getting plenty of gears if your intending to ride with a kid on the back, lots of extra weight!

Just make sure there are proper rack mounts and that you aren’t relying on any P clips.

orena45

I’m window shopping for similar at the moment. The Whyte’s look pretty good as mentioned but I’m also liking the Charge Scourer and Zester too. Cube Hyde is worth a look as well and also the Boardman hybrid.

thehustler
    Free Member

You know, you could tick all those boxes with a Boardman hybrid,

GrahamS

That old chestnut again!

Carbon is now as tough as old boots, and more than tough enough for a commuter bike.

Absolutely no way I’d mount a baby seat on a carbon frame. It’s tough when pressure comes from the expected direction, but many baby seats put lateral pressure on the tubes.

WillC9999
    Free Member

I had a similar brief to you and went for a Planet-X Uncle John frame, hope disks and a mid range chainset (44-36-26 I think) with a MTB cassette. Got mud guards, 32 tyres, flat bars, comfy saddle – love it.
    Sooooooo much better than my previous road bike (skitty, uncomfortable and kak brakes).

TiRed

For 16 miles, I’d want a decent range of gears, drop bars for the hand positions, rack and mudguards, 25 or 28mm tyres too. You didn’t say a budget, but a Tifosi CK7 would be where I’d start. think Audax rather than Cyclocross.

EDIT: Baby seat – you want a Rhode Gear Taxi on a Blackburn rack. Forget the tube clamping seats, they are inferior (but they do work – I’ve had both).

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Boardman cx team

Genesis cdf

Both well worth a look.

wheelie

+1 for CK7….I ride some very dirty country lanes so ride a fixie. Same as Pearson Touche. 30 mile round trip. i’m 61 some Southdowns hills. If i were to ride geared it would be 1×8 or so….keep it simple!

billythestickboy
    Free Member

WillC9999, what did your Uncle John set up cost? I’m looking at a new commuter bike and the dirty disco and whyte stirling are top of my list at the mo.

If planet x did an uncle john flat bar with discs that would be top of my list but when I spoke to them they didn’t think they could do that for anywhere near £1k. Didn’t quite make sense to me. Your set up sounds just about spot on.

Also, (and I know this isn’t the vital thing) can you tell me what yours weighs. The specs on the planet x website show 2 different weights for the UJ.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a commuter bike please!’ is closed to new replies.