Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Recommend me a comedian please.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Looking to go and see some comedy at the Fringe in a couple of weeks. Was thinking of going to see somebody new but looking for recommendations. That’s all folks.

porlus
    Free Member

Saw a bloke last year who was warm up act for 3 main acts. Headliner was Jared Christmas, who turned out to be pants. Infact this guy was far better than all the main comedians that night. His name is Dan Nightingale. He’s a fan of audience participation and singled some poor girl out with hilarious results

matt_outandabout

There are plenty of jokers on here….why not organise an STW Edinburgh meet? 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

jERRY sADOWITZ

RustySpanner
    stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m not sure I want to see someone who likes to single out members of the audience. Was once in the front row at a Jonny Vegas gig and that was scary enough. It was worth it to see him single out Alex Mcleish and some of his Hibs players though.

The greatest stand up comedian – Frank Skinner

bigyim
    Free Member
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I couldn’t agree less, he’s about as funny as toothache. (IMO of course)

beagle
    Free Member

Sir Daniel Kitson.

10pmix
    Free Member

There is only one…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARa2eQ4Rqk0[/video]

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Daniel Kitson

^this^

He usually has more than one show at Edinburgh…could be a monologue, could be traditional stand-up, he might be doing both…or something else. Whatever he’s doing, go and see…but good luck getting a ticket!

esselgruntfuttock – Member

I couldn’t agree less, he’s about as funny as toothache. (IMO of course)

That makes me sad. Many of my friends have been introduced to his earlier stand up stuff as they only know him as a dull chat show host & now love him.

Does anyone know how to put a YouTube clip on stw? Followed the forum help but can’t get it to work

Oh yeah and Stuart Lee

bigblackshed

Chris Ramsey. Andrew Lawerence.

Paulio
    Free Member

Pappy’s. They do sketches but don’t discount them because of that, they’re great. I’ve seen their Edinburgh show for this year and can’t recommend it highly enough.

stevie750

That Stewart Lee clip was rubbish. Not funny at all

jerry sadowitz, not new but really funny

loum
    Free Member

There is only one… thank God.
    He’s lost it.
    Been to his gigs and they’ve gone downhill badly. The latest one, Carpet World last year, was one of the dullest gigs ever. He gave up stand-up for a while, and it feels like he’s now going through the motions ‘cos he got a huge tax bill or similar.
    I know he aims for “niche” , so should fit in here, but IMHO he’s now got his head stuck so far up his own bottom that he can’t help talking poo.
    He was writing in the Observer last Sunday so I read the column hoping he’d found funny again. 🙁
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/22/stewart-lee-olympic-games-twitter?INTCMP=SRCH

derek_starship
    Free Member

Mickey Flanagan, Jon Richardson, Sean Lock, Tom Dane.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That makes me sad. Don’t be sad, as I said It’s just my opinion that he’s a talentless ‘comedian’ who doesn’t (& never has) even made me smile.

That Scouser, John Bishop on the other hand…

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

The latest one, Carpet World last year, was one of the dullest gigs ever.

I enjoyed the first half, but after the interval it really dragged. I think he’s done the ‘eek 20 mins of material from one joke’ routine to death.

loum
    Free Member

Makes you appreciate comedians like milton jones and tim vine with their “20 jokes a minute” a lot more.
    At the moment, I like Sean Lock, Rhod Gilbert, and Steve Hughes but not sure if they’re there.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0lVbMOMTi0&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

NSFW

DezB
    Free Member

Mickey Flanagan is brilliant.

Last I saw was Greg Davies – excellent.

[edit]Browsing the Fringe lineup – I don’t recognise any of them so far! Here

DezB
    Free Member

I’d go to this one
    http://www.edfringe.com/whats-on/comedy/eat-a-queer-fetus-4-jesus-free

and Lucy Porter cos I fancy her

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Where Once Was Wonder – Daniel Kitson

A new stand-up comedy show about impossibility, change, not joining in, love, haircuts, loneliness, courage, defiance, knowledge, despondency, cutting the head off a pig, meaning, tattoos, obscenity, opinions, truth and something a Spanish footballer once said.*

Thirty-four years old, predictably fond of snacks, surprisingly capable at sport and increasingly uncertain about absolutely everything, Daniel Kitson – comedian, legend and intermittent tool – tries to work out what he actually thinks about things whilst demanding people pay money to watch.

*Other topics may be addressed in addition to or in place of the topics listed here.

Edit: I don’t know why I’m plugging this guy…the less of you who know about him the better!

DezB
    Free Member

Couple of Newcomers worth catching! 😯

MrGreedy

As this thread has ably demonstrated, comedy is a pretty personal thing. “Recommend me a comedian” is like “recommend me some music” – not very useful unless there’s something to go on.

That said, here’s a couple I like that haven’t been mentioned so far:

Richard Herring – former half of Lee and Herring, does a very tight main standup show as well as a cheap lunchtime chatshow every day (available as a podcast) with lots of good guests. Bit of a lottery as you never know who’ll be on, but always pretty funny.

Andy Zaltzman – bullsh*t par excellence, ranging from very silly and scatalogical to fairly scathing satire. Again, one man show plus some live podcast stuff and no doubt will be in the late night Political Animal show(s). (See also the Bugle podcast for a taster)

fervouredimage
    Free Member

+however many for Stewart Lee.

Not everyones cup of tea evidently but he’s always fascinating to watch perform.

coogan
    Free Member

‘The Boy With Tape On His Face’ was superb last year. Very funny!

unklehomered
    Free Member

+1 for David Sedaris

Andrew Lawrence – if you like dry, hateful rage against the world (who doesn’t).

BoardinBob

Carl Donnelly was excellent a couple of months ago. He’s doing a show.

Jim Jeffries is superb as long as you’re not easily offended.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Lee Mack !,sharp,fast,witty & dosn’t swear….too much ..

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a comedian please.’ is closed to new replies.