Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Recommend me a cheap/decent tool set
  • chojin
    Free Member

I’m looking to spend as little as possible, but want a tool set which will allow me to build a bike from scratch.

Halfrauds do a kit for £29.99 – is that one any good?

I’m getting bored finding I need to buy a new tool every time I want to do something to my MTB!

meehaja
    Free Member

No No NO! Cheap tools = bad tools. Buy what you use most, and buy quality. By all means buy cheap tools for those tools you only use once or twice, but allen keys are essential and make sure you buy a good set, like wise, good cable cutters are priceless and a nice chain tool. Thats all you really need. BB tools, chainwhips etc can be bought cheap for how often you will use them,

chojin
    Free Member

hmmm I see your point…

I have a decent set of allen keys already, what i’m lacking are tools like a chain whip, chain breaker, cable cutters etc
    so is there a cheap set with the not often used tools in which case?

jimc101
    Free Member

Looking at the tool kit from Halfords, it’s pretty generic, and has things like headset wreches you wont need, and no tools HTII Bottom Brackets

anything by Park, Shimano, Cyclus are good, if you buy cheap, you will only replace with higher quality later.

If you want everything in one go, look at something like the Park Starter Tool kit (CRC @ £89), but probably easier to buy what you need as you needs it.

steveh

Ice toolz stuff is good and pretty cheap.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve worn out some cheap tools in just a few years. Here’s my cheapo tips. Others will be along sharpish to contradict totally!

General ratchets, including hex bolts, sockets and stuff to work on your car: B&Q Magnessun. Usually 1/2 price, sometimes 1/3. I got a mad tool set 3 years ago for about £40 that I’ve yet to find a shortcoming with.

BB Tool- Check Probikebit. Currently 70% off (apparently).

Chainwhip tool – got a cheap one and realised I needed 2 to get a cassette off a hope freehub.

Ext BB took. Dont buy the Merlin saucer shaped thing. It slips. Get a proper tool with a big handle.

Chainring bolt tool – you dont know you need one til you need one. Again probikebit.

Cable cutter: Screwfix

Crimps – I had one of these lying around from electrictal work.

Needle nose pliers. Again Magnesson.

Chunky pliers – anything might do.

A 1/2 – 3/8 – 1/4 adapter set. Around £2 on ebay. Invaluable if you ever borrow tools. Or a complete wast of £2 otherwise.

Screwdriers – why not get something that will do you a lifetime in the house / car?

Edit- I’ve just checked and B&Q no no longer do the Magnusson range. So scrap most of the above 🙁

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a cheap/decent tool set’ is closed to new replies.