• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • recommend me a cheap reliable printer for b+w only that allows use of cheap ink
  • kaiser
    Free Member

broke my brother printer which ticked all the above boxes ( needed tape round colour cartridges when empty to allow B+W printing to continue. don’t need anything fancy
    anyone know of something suitable
    thanks in advance
    bill

oldnpastit

Get a laser printer.

Seriously, it’s not much more than an inkjet and is much cheaper to run, and a thousand times more reliable.

Cougar

Get a laser printer.

+1. You’d be mad to get an inkjet for what you need.

I can source a new Canon laser for not much money if you want. Fifty quid, say? I’ll get the exact model tomorrow.

handyman153
    Free Member

We’ve had one of these for the past 8 months –
    Brother HL-1110
    Comes with a 700 page ‘starter’ cartridge

After that you can buy 4 x 1000 Page toners for £18.99 from here –
    Aftermarket Toners

Yes they are aftermarket, but they work fine!
    I’d be surprised if you can get anywhere near 4000 pages for £18.99 from a Ink Jet!

Cheers
    J

trail_rat
    Free Member

Plus one for laserjet.

Still using a 50 quid hp laser jet i got in 2000.

Have to use hooky ink refills as they dont make em any more- or not for [blooming] years…

Its starting to get a pain in the ass to find the drivers for new versions of windows. I suspect ill need to swap out shortly.

welshfarmer

A friend gave me a HP Lazerjet 1022 when they upgraded in their office about 6 years ago. She wasn’t sure how old it was or when the cartridge had been changed, if ever. Well 6 years and a few thousand pages later and it is still going strong on the original cartridge 🙂

When it dies I will just go out and buy another

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mines a 1010 welshfarmer.

superleggero
    Free Member

Suggest you get a new mono laser printer for what you need.

I’m still using a 2001 HP Laserjet 1100. Just keep going on and on. Toner cartridges last ages.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Apologies for the minor thread hijack but does anyone have a recommendation for a colour laser, ideally with wifi.
    Not worried about copying or scanning so just a printer rather then a multifunction is fine.

nickjb
    Free Member

anyone have a recommendation for a colour laser

I’ve got a brother hl3140. £99 from John lewis (2 year warranty). Very happy with it. Print quality is ok and it’s been reliable. Not tried the WiFi as I have it wired.

antigee

handyman153 – Member
    We’ve had one of these for the past 8 months –
    Brother HL-1110
    Comes with a 700 page ‘starter’ cartridge

After that you can buy 4 x 1000 Page toners for £18.99 from here –
    Aftermarket Toners

2nd that – had one of those for a couple of years – used both Brother and cheap replacement toner cartridges with no problems – reliable paper feed too

wzzzz
    Free Member

I have a samsung laser from 2001 that was being chucked out five years ago still going strong. Before that I had a dell laser off eBay for a fiver but the drum failed.

I use a usb -parrallel converter and a raspberry pi as a wireless print server, so I can print over wifi from laptops and mobiles.

kaiser
    Free Member

thanks to all for the suggestions and offers. The brother HL-1110 and cheap toners sounds ideal.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Apologies for the minor thread hijack but does anyone have a recommendation for a colour laser, ideally with wifi.

Also have a Brother colour laser printer, which we use over wifi. Sits there for weeks with no printing, and then prints nicely when needed.

John Lewis Brother colour laser printer

Cougar
    madeupname
    Free Member

Cougar – you mention a decent laser printer for around fifty quid, but the link is for one that retails at £250 new…

Any chance of a link to the cheap (but decent) one?

Thanks

Cougar

That’s the one I have. I’ll happily sell it for £250 instead if you want.

mefty
    Free Member

I have had a tiny B&W Brother Laser Printer for years, they cost about £50=60 and running costs are peanuts.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a cheap reliable printer for b+w only that allows use of cheap ink’ is closed to new replies.