Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • recommend me: a cheap lawnmower
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure there were maasai warriors stalking prey in our garden this morning such is the height of our grass and while a mate has swung round once to cut it we should probably invest in something to tackle it ourselves. It needs to be cheap (about £30/40) which means petrol is probably out of the question and homebase have a sale that ends today, any ideas?

ta

wwaswas

second hand from the local free-ads.

fontmoss
    Free Member

yup got on eye on those too

ski
    Free Member

Bit more than you want to spend, but the Bosch Rotak 32 are worth looking at (£60 @ homebase).

If the grass is that high though, it might be worth borrowing a strimmer first though 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

http://www.manualmowers.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=57&osCsid=1bece29491465a51e207e6f3c70edb4d

Best mower I've ever had.

It's quiet, easy to use, neat and works brilliantly.

Takes me around 20 minutes to cut the lawn with it.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Yeah I think a borrow of a strimmer is def on the cards 😀 cheers ill check out the bosch

ill have a look at the link thanks jools, that'll certainly get the guns boosted (how big is your lawn?)

jeffl

Don't get the Flymo Mow n Vac. Only has a handle like a vacuum cleaner and is a PITA.

http://www.flymo.co.uk/node2415.aspx?nid=48819

fontmoss
    Free Member

ta jeffi, i did think one handed lawn mowing seemed optimistic

timraven

Got a petrol one you can have if you want to come to Bath to collect.
    Old, but works well,slight leak from the carb nothing serious.
    Moving to a place with no lawn 🙂
    Let me know

joolsburger
    Free Member

My lawn is around 50 feet long and 20 odd feet wide I suppose.

Not huge but they are really easy to push these days. It is no hassle at all and really does work well. Obviously if the grass is long it's harder work so I do mine every week but it's so quick it's easy. The first cut of the year I use the box after that I don't bother, just keep it dead short annd let the clippings mulch in. Lawn is not too shabby!

fontmoss
    Free Member

that'd be ace but no car im afraid-which is the prob when looking on fleabay, they're all pick up in person

thanks again though

cheers jools, looks decent and i think i poss need to spend 60/70 if going for a decent electric one so its def on the list-just hurts a bit spending 40 notes on non motorised

Del

don't buy a cheap mower. you'll have to use it at least once a week through summer and you'll hate every pigging second. cheap 'fly-mows' in particular blow goats especially hard. stick your hand in your pocket and get a honda.

fontmoss
    Free Member

it has to be cheap im afraid plus its a rented property and the next place might be a flat. I know what you mean though, I spent a summer working with a gardner cutting lawns every day, electric mowers make me shudder.

I am seriously thinking of going with jools recommendation-i think a good manual one will probably be better than a cheap electric one

Milkie
    Free Member

B&Q do cheap strimmers, think I paid £6.99. Not the best, but it does the job, with a swivel head too!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I tried a Flymo and a Bosch they both broke and were shite when they worked.

I am a convert to the gentle art of manual mowing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘recommend me: a cheap lawnmower’ is closed to new replies.