Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • recommend me a cheap hardtail
  • adrec
    Free Member

I’ve previously started a similar thread and the answer that came out was an on one 45650b, ideally I’d like something a bit lighter tho. It’s gotta be cheap, ie under £200, 26in wheels and take a tapered steerer. Ideas?

breadcrumb

Guessing you mean frame? Dartmoor Hornet should be a little lighter. No experience of them personally.

If the 45650b rides as well the EVO II I wouldn’t discount it on the weight.

adrec
    Free Member

You’re right, it’s not just the weight. I’m worried it’ll screw up the geometry running it with 26s and all the inbreds I’ve ever seem have been covered in rust. I’m guessing a steel with a lower chromium content is used by on one to keep the price down. My whyte hasn’t got a spot of rust on it and it’s 3 years old

jaymoid

My whyte hasn’t got a spot of rust on it and it’s 3 years old

Do you have the 19 steel?

Kinesis Decade Versa Mk1s here for £275 – would take a tapered HS, 16″ available.
    http://thebikesmith.co/kinesis-decade-virsa?gclid=CKPZq5jl2cICFWTHtAodECcAjw

adrec
    Free Member

@Jaymoid yes i do.

When you get towards the 3 ton mark you can get a carbon 456. It’s going to be used by her indoors once or twice until she falls off and never goes out on it again, so don’t want to spend a fortune on it.

jaymoid

Cool, good advert for the 19! shame they stopped making them.

Just checked – not many small whyte 901/905s come up on ebay sadly.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hi Adrec, good to hear you are still enjoying the Whyte frame 😀

There are a couple of Voodoo Wanga steel frames (new) on fleabay which should be in your size.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOODOO-WANGA-STEEL-HARDTAIL-RED-MTB-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-FRAME-17-INCH-/181615028000?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Fragrances_Women_s_Fragrances_PP&hash=item2a49196720

winston
    Free Member

Those voodoo wanga frames seem pretty good value for £100

adrec
    Free Member

I saw the voodoos on ebay, shame I need a 16in.

The whytes a fantastic bike, I’d take a 805/901 if i could find one.

adrec
    Free Member

Plus i need a tapered steerer, them voodoos look like they’re 1 1/8

chakaping
    Free Member

You checked pinkbike classified?

Good time of year to get haggling

kayla1
    Free Member

If you can deal with a straight steerer, I’ve got an ally Giant Brass 1 (12.5″, 100m forks) frame in good nick, an ally GT Chucker XS (14.5″ nominal but actually 16″ from BB to top tube, 100mm forks) in average nick or a cromoly DMR Exalt in good nick(14″, 140mm to 170mm forks) all 26″, surplus to requirement and all sub £100.

I ended up with two Exalts and have built one up, it’s really nice to ride.

adrec
    Free Member

Yer I’m on it every few hours. What I’m basically after is an alloy 45650b. A carbon 456 would also do the job i reckon, if it was for a good price and wasn’t trashed. Had been looking for an 16in mmmbop but they never come up as just frame in reasonable condition

adrec
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of forks with a tapered steerer so I’m going to have to go down that route

edward2000
    Free Member

I’m worried it’ll screw up the geometry running it with 26s

The geometry will be exactly the same, albeit your bottom bracket will be (27.5-26)/2 = 0.75 of an inch lower.

eltonerino

I’m selling a 2012 Saracen Mantra for £175. It’s got a straight steerer in it at the moment, but it’s got a 44mm head tube, so you can swap the bottom cups to take a tapered steerer.

winston
    Free Member

I’ve got a alloy wanga if you want it – 19.5″ though so maybe too big

Tapered head tube, double butted 7005 alloy, spare mech hanger, can be ss as has sliding drops

Brand new never ridden stripped for parts with a small ding in down tube

£65 posted

adrec
    Free Member

Cheers Eltonerino but I’ve got most of the kit, just need frame. Thinking a 16in 45650b is gonna be my best bet, just gotta wait for a painted one to come up in the classifieds. Maybe if I’m very lucky a carbon on one might pop up

Andy-R

Keep your eyes open for a 2012 Genesis Alpitude (the last version, in other words).

breadcrumb

I’m worried it’ll screw up the geometry running it with 26s

The geometry will be exactly the same, albeit your bottom bracket will be (27.5-26)/2 = 0.75 of an inch lower.

It won’t even be that, 650b is nearer 27.1″, 27.5 is the marketing name. So the BB would be nearer 1/2″ lower with 26″ wheels. The head angle would be slightly steeper with 26″ forks though.

Xylene
    Free Member

Love my wanga. Only issue I had was being poorly I found I pulled the drop out over to one side.

Don’t bend the drop outsceither they need to be imported.

But Joe Murray does answer all the emails personally

highlandman
    Free Member

Rusting On-ones:
    I’ve a ‘Barry White’ painted Inbred that’s three years old; this is the black with gold flecks and there’s not a scrap of rust on it anywhere, despite being royally thrashed as a year round, off-road commuter.
    On the other hand, I’ve also got a 2007 29er in ‘sand’ and it’s as rusty as a 1970’s Fiat…

stumpy01

This is cheap:

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-attention-26-frame-grey-n-green-233708/wg_id-8669

but 1 1/8″ steerer only, although you could get a carbon rigid fork for it and still be under your £200 budget.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a cheap hardtail’ is closed to new replies.