Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend me a cheap fork for a SC Superlight?
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

Looking to replace my forks. SID are too expensive, as are Fox.

Looking at Reba, but also considering Recon Gold as found a new set for £200.

My bike was running ’99 SID’s so I guess things have moved on since then so I might not notice the difference between Reba and Recon?

I never really did much air fiddling with the SID’s.

captaintomo
    Free Member

Manitou minute. Love mine

mactheknife

I have a Magura Thor 150 Lift Select i got from bikediscount.de for about £320 recently, so far it has been amazing, easy to set up. plush, solid.

batman11
    Free Member

Xfusion velvet dropped to 120mm travel. Well worth a serious look.

dickydownes
    Free Member

Looking for 100mm travel.

argoose
    Free Member

Picked up a set of reba race’s second hand. Quisk service and very happy with them.
    Set at 100mm but blerb says can be de-spaced to 120 mm.

chillidave
    Free Member

How much is your budget?

I have a set of 2001 SIDs and whatever you go for will be a huge improvement. I don’t think you’d go wrong with a set of Rebas.

dickydownes
    Free Member

Budget £200 – 250 which if 2nd hand would have to include a service price.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I’ll be selling some 2008/09 Reba Team Dual Air U-Turns 85-115mm soon, excellent condition, eveything works as it should and only looking for about £130 plus post, had these on my old 2004 Superlight, steerer approx 190mm, any good? Only problem is I’m off to France tonight and not back until the 16th March so can’t do anything until I’m back unless you can wait til then?

scotroutes

2nd hand SIDS? I have some (barely used) – 9mm QR/100mm/Black/Pushloc.

dickydownes
    Free Member

Kojaklollipop – the steerer is too short on your Reba’s.

Scotroutes – what vintage are your SIDS? Condition? And steerer – need at least 200mm?

scotroutes

My SIDs are 2009, 200mm steerer and are in excellent condition. I’ll run a few photos off later. They were bought for a wee hardtail that normally runs some Pace RC31s and have mostly been boxed from new. They are the Race model and come with the extra coloured stickers so you can match them to your frame.

spacehopper

find some decent condition second hand 100mm travel bombers z1 / z2 / xfly etc from around 2000 2001… not quite as light or quite as sensitive on small stuff as modern forks.. but they are utterly bullet proof and so easy to work on!

make sure they’re the older type with the thin metal bushings that just slide in..

youll get a set on ebay or retrobike for £60 – £70 tops if you shop around..

new seals.. oil and bushings… £50 tops for the lot.. and itll last for yeeeeeeeears!

dickydownes
    Free Member

Scotroutes – yep please send some pics through. Email should be in my profile. Got a price for them?

granny_ring

Have you thought about trying 120mm travel forks?

dickydownes
    Free Member

Not thought about 120mm. It’s an original Superlight which has always run a 100mm fork.

scotroutes

dd – as requested

I’m looking to clear £200 for them (after postage/fees etc). Any less and I’ll probably just keep them in my “spares” 🙂

granny_ring

I’d consider getting some forks that you can adjust from 120-100mm if you can find some for sale, Pace RC40, rockshox u turn and the like.
    !20mm on the downs then lower for the climbs, best of both!

dickydownes
    Free Member

Scotroutes – Can you confirm the steerer length please as 200mm minimum is the requirement. Also how quickly could you get them to me (I live in Leeds)?

dickydownes
    Free Member

Gone for a set of 2013 Reba’s. Thanks for everyone’s advice.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a cheap fork for a SC Superlight?’ is closed to new replies.