• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by alanl.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a cheap angle grinder
  • swdan
    Free Member

I’ve seen a couple of threads on here previously but it seems the recommendations are out of date.

I’m in the market for a cheap angle grinder (up to £35ish) for general stuff around the house. Think cutting metal pipes, grinding rust off things in the garden etc. It won’t get used a lot.

I’ve seen a Mac Allister one at b&Q for £20 and am tempted as the other stuff I have from the range has served me well considering the price. Alternatively Screwfix has a Bosch blue for £35 which looks like it might be a little more compact and therefore easier and more comfortable to hold and operate.

Anything else out there I should look at? I’m happy to buy discs as and when I need them but bonus points for recommending something that come with a starter set.

Cheers
    Dan

Harry_the_Spider

I got a B&Q cheapo years ago. It works fine.

woffle
    Free Member

I got a small Black & Decker from Amazon Warehouse for about £18 (EDIT: I paid £22) with three spare discs. Has cut a fair amount of rebar for a pond project without any problems.

This one. Mine was an open box warehouse return…

nickjb
    Free Member

Bosch blue stuff is usually very good, you won’t go too far wrong there. I think you’ll find a Hitachi in budget. They are my go to brand for grinders. I have a couple and they’ve had a lot of use and abuse. Don’t forget the goggles and maybe some ear defenders

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Much as I dislike Silverline tools generally I have got one of their 4″ angle grinders and actually it’s lasted well. I got it trade but I think they retail for just over £20 and come with a 3 year warranty. It is quite long though and it has one of those slide-then-press power buttons which annoy me.

A blue Bosch for £35 would be my choice if pennies aren’t a problem.

Silverline thin metal cutting discs are good as well, as good as ones I’ve payed twice as much for any way.

alanl
    Free Member

I’ve got one that I no longer need.
    I bought it to cut some roof sheets up, we only took our jigsaw that day, and was struggling with it, so went to a local tool shop and bought this. It’s been used for 15 minutes tops, as I’ve got a cordless one and another mains one.
    It’s this one here:
    Sealey Grinder

£15 inc post via Hermes, or collect from just South of Leicester.

kayak23

I have Bosch blue. I also have a Dewalt.

I rarely use the Bosch as I don’t think it has a button lock. It only goes when you’re holding the button if I remember rightly whereas the Dewalt runs.

The Dewalt is excellent.

survivor

If OP doesn’t take your offer alanl I’ll take it off your hands.

Send me a PM on here. 🙂

swdan
    Free Member

Hmmmm, some things to think about. A lock button might be useful but never having really used one before I don’t know what I want/need.

I know from using my router and SDS drill that cheaper heavy tools are alright for short use but get a bit tiresome when used for the duration. It’s that that’s making my think I might want to go a light as possible for my money

swdan
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer alanl but I’m still trying to make up my mind what I want. If Survivor is interested then feel free to seek it to them

giantalkali
    Free Member

I bought the £20 macallister b&Q one a few weeks aback, it’s fine, very powerful and comes with a grinding disc. You will need ear muffs and eye protection for sure. It does have a lock so you can work at tricxky angles with no prob

hot_fiat

Bosch or Hitachi

I had a cheapo Chinese thing for a while. Starting it up one day resulted in the handle snapping, with the power on. The thing then proceeded to leap around my garage attacking things like a rabid dog. Thankfully it chewed through its own cord after a short time but not before I’d leapt onto my B&D workmate like the housemaid in a Tom & Jerry cartoon.

alanl
    Free Member

Survivor, it’s yours if you want it.
    email me- alan at maydavid .co .uk

Thanks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a cheap angle grinder’ is closed to new replies.