Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me a charcoal BBQ
  • beamers

I'm in the market for a new charcoal BBQ and some weeks ago the Sunday Times recommended the Weber Smokey Mountain as the top charcoal BBQ.

However I think it might be a bit of overkill for doing a couple of burgers and sausages, especially as I think it might takes hours and hours to cook things, albeit in a flavoursome smokey manner.

So, what charcoal BBQ's do the STW massive suggest. It's got to be charcoal – not gas.

TVM

mcinnes
    Free Member

We've had a weber kettle for four orfive years and it is legendary. Simple, generates a proper cooking heat so no issues with meat even with relatively little fuel, easy to maintain and plenty of room to feed upto 15 or 20 people if you're willing to do a couple of rounds of cooking. Anything by weber is my advice 🙂

BlackDog
    Free Member

We use this with english charcoal – means you don't need fire lighters. Its a stainless steel dancook

nick1c
    Free Member

Another vote for weber. I light it using a hot air paint stripping gun, it's up to cooking temperature in 5 mins. It's good for anything from burgers to a 4Kg rib of beef or 3 whole chickens.

CHB

Kettle BBQ for sure. Aiming to get a weber one day!

GrahamS

Build your own with some bricks?

silverpigeon
    Free Member

If it really is just a few burgers and sausages then just get something cheap from B&Q.

If you want to be more versatile and use it more often then get a good Weber kettle BBQ.

Beer Can Chicken Mmmmmmm

beamers

I think its going to be the Weber Smokey Mountain.

It has its own website / forum here.

I'm thinking Christmas Turkey done on a bbq. cool.

mattsccm
    Free Member

All the above a huge amount of fuss and surely contradictory to the idea of BBQ. Use an old steel car wheel. 10" mini for couples, Land rover for families and parties and tractor for big do's! Set on brick or for the perfect height, smack the valve off a big gas cylinder, fill it with water and weld the wheel on.

uplink
    Free Member

Son of Hibachi [Griletto] is what you want
    http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/son-of-hibachi-bbq/index.html

sc-xc

I have one of those ^ and it's ace. No fuss, easy to light, pack it away still hot….one tray for the meat eaters, one for the veggies.

mcinnes
    Free Member

@mattsccm Welding a car wheel is less fuss than buying essentially a two component kettle (bowl and lid)? Hmmmm.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Weber Kettle here, great bit of kit, can not recommend it enough, well worth the money, just treated myself to the chimney starter for it last weekend

beamers

How good is the chimney starter? Has it revolutionized your BBQ lighting?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

it does make the whole lighting process so much easier and it is the right size for my 57cm Kettle Weber, as it holds the correct amount of coals

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a charcoal BBQ’ is closed to new replies.