Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a chain guide/bash guard
  • brokenbanjo

I have a Norco Sight that I decided would run a narrow-wide 1×10 set up. Now, the 36t cassette is fine for the hills and what not in the Lakes. But, the two chain drops today whilst pootling along some of Grizedales bridleways, are not fine. I started the day with the Bionicon thing that came with the bike. It is now in several pieces after exploding when it met a rock. Needless to say I don’t want another of them.

So I am wondering what chain guide to fit. The bike has ISCG-05 mounts, so potentially a full guide with a bash guard. May as well do things properly eh. Suggestions please because I don’t have clue what is good etc. Or should I look at shortening the chain more?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’ve got a vgc lg1+ for £55 if that’s any use

brokenbanjo

Oh aye, what’s that one then? Honestly have no idea about these things. Never really occurred to me that I would need one to be honest.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

E-thirteen top of the range!

brokenbanjo

where you based? does it come with iscg 05 mount?

Northwind

Have you done much with the setup you have? Chain tension (and clutch tension) are all pretty important for the narrow/wides, might be there’s room for improvement there.

Me, I’m half expecting to need a guide when I turn the big bike 1×10 so I’ve got an MRP 1X standing by- top guide only so less noise and friction but I reckon it’ll be enough, since I don’t need a guide at all on the hardtail.

brokenbanjo

Not really, just chucked it all on, and now the Bionicon thing as blown up, I’m getting a fair bit of chain slap. Not sure how to tension the chain more? Nor the clutch mech. The chain does feel a bit loose, so maybe I could have a fettle with it.

Northwind

Aye, basically just make sure you have as little chain as possible (without stopping it all from working) The more slack, the more likely it is to come off.

Though, to be fair… The counter to this, is that if you shorten the chain as far as possible, you won’t be able to add a bottom guide without adding chain again!

carlphillips
    Free Member

I’ve a straightline silent guide I don’t need since going thick/thin.
    mail in profile if you are interested.

brokenbanjo

Where you at Carl? To be honest, I’d prefer not to run a guide. Bt needs bust and what not!

lornholio
    Free Member

No need for a full guide with bottom roller if you have a clutch mech. MRP AMG or a Hope guide plus normal bash guard are the way to go for a top guide + bash solution.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Rideworks – they are the future……

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a chain guide/bash guard’ is closed to new replies.