Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Recommend me a chain device for 1×10?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Ok, so I’ve bent my Superstar Plasma chain device and am not too sure about getting a replacement as it really didn’t take much to bend it. I’ve posted asking about the e-thirteen LG1+ but got no response, so guess this isn’t perhaps a popular device?

So any recommmendations for a 1×10 set up with a 34tooth front ring on a 140mm lightweight full suss. I currently don’t run a bash guard but was thinking it might be a good idea so perhaps one with an integrated guide?

Any recommendations?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Oh and it needs to be ISCG 05 fitting!

eshershore
    Free Member

won’t go wrong with E13 LG1+

expensive but quality comes at a price..

sold over 100 of those to customers and owned several myself, no issues at all and rock solid even under hard impacts

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

LG1+ is good, I have one on my DH bike. Takes a lot of abuse & it’s still great. Downside is the lower roller gets noisy, and blocked with mud.

I run a Straitline Silentguide on my trail bike & IMO it’s better. Quieter with no moving parts, along with a full bashring & just as light. It doesn’t block with mud either.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You should be able to get away with the e13 1.x top only guide on a bike like that. It’s a lot cheaper and lighter. That said I run a LG1+ without the taco and bash for trail duties and then add those back for DH and alps riding. That works really well.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I run a Silentguide and really like it – strong, silent, maintenance free and I’ve never dropped or jammed a chain. That said, I’d consider a top guide only combined with a clutch rear mech if I were buying a guide today. Genuinely seems to remove the need for a full guide for everything but proper DH (as in, on a DH bike).

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Some of the reviews suggest the Silentguide wears out exactly because it has no moving parts??

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The replacement guides are about £12.

Mine’s been on for 2 years now, done a shed load of riding & it’s worn a groove, but nothing more than 1mm or so in that time. Last just as long as a lower roller on an E13 guide in my experience.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Straitline or Gamut

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Pauls Chain Keeper:

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Its for a Zesty, so I think I’d be struggling to fit a seat tube mount?

Nice picture tho 🙂

Rockape
    Free Member

Is there anyone in the uk that sell Paul chain keeper?

stevede
    Free Member

I run an e13 lg1+ on my enduro (was on my five before that, the jockey wheel seemed to develop quite a bit of play in the bearings early on but i’ve run it like it is for over a year of regular riding (4 or 5 times a week) without issue, the taco has taken plenty of hits over that time and still good, would buy the same chainguide again if i had to replace.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member
    somafunk

Try brixton cycles, although i had to buy my pauls chain keeper from aspirevelotech in the states.

twohats
    Free Member

Straitline Silent guide here.
    2 years of use, still on original sliders, wear wear no issue.

audiophile
    Free Member

MBR 1x has given 2 years service without a complaint.

jam-bo

E13 xcx.

That picture up there doesn’t count as that bike has clearly never been ridden off road. Or on road.

deadkenny
    Free Member

What I’ve concluded is the top guide is the most important bit for keeping the chain on, combined with good chain tension. Indeed a clutch mech may even eliminate the need for a bottom roller/pulley guide.

Myself I’ve got an e.13 TRS+ Single. Lightweight version of the LG1+ without the taco bash (Santa Cruz advise against them on my Nomad). Given it’s a single ring and the chain acts as a guard, and I don’t usually smash my bottom bracket on rocks, I can live without.

Only just fitted it so will see how it goes, but really like the design, looks like good construction and durable (is for XC/AM mostly). I might end up taking the pulley off as got a clutch mech and that might be enough anyway. The pulley like most is a little noisy and adds drag.

Other thing I have concluded is … MRP is crap. At least the ones with pulleys are. Had an X-Guide (2x guide) and the pulley cage got destroyed easily from a caught chain and it kept trying to derail the chain to the small ring when I didn’t want it to. Reading some customer reviews other people have found the pulley cage to be brittle and cracks easily, as I found. Stupidly expensive for what it was, and the X-Guide doesn’t even have a top guide!

e.13 is still expensive, but cheaper and better quality.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Concerned about those things twisting round as some report. Though thinking about one for my hard tail as it has no tabs. That said I currently have a Jump Stop on the hard tail which clamps to the tube and is a metal stop on one side. Works, but it does keep twisting round as the chain tries to pop off and knock it. That looks better.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

So who does an ISCG 05 mount top guide only? All ISCG ones seem to come with bottom guide included as part of the mounting plate?

Its for a carbon Zesty so as the front mech was some kind of swing arm mounted affair with two allen bolts, I doubt a band on type chain keeper will fit?

nordofjura
    Free Member

That would probably it, if not out of stock:

DMR Upper Chain Guide with ISCG5 mount

It might be available somewhere else though?

tops5
    Free Member

What do we think of a single specific ring with no guide or tensioner? Just taken my Superstar one off as I’m sick of faffing with it.

A quick couple of laps round the garden and up and down the road seemed ok – will I drop my chain and die?

svalgis
    Free Member

I’d say that if you have a SS specific chainring and ride a hardtail on smooth trails, you might be fine. Clutch mech certainly helps.

zangolin
    Free Member

Another for Straitline Silent guide here. 1800 miles on the xc bike still on original sliders – no wear issues. Also one on the DH bike for over 2 years – perfect with no problems.

Dave
    Free Member

I’ve been running a 1×10 set up with a clutch mech on rocky stuff and haven’t dropped the chain so far…

That’s done it now obviously

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Been running my 1 x 10 set-up on my Solaris for a while now, sadly only managed 2 trips to Glentress which isn’t that rough, but did the black and the red and chain never came off once

Do have the chain about as short as it could be tho………

P.S. My short cage mech doesn’t have a clutch either.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Another for the Straightline Silent guide , Simple, light,neat and just works no issues .

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a chain device for 1×10?’ is closed to new replies.