Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a central heating controller
  • ebygomm
    Free Member

The receiver part of our central heating thermostat went kaput round about April time and it’s getting to the time of year where having something other than the on/off switch we wired in might be useful!

Buying the receiver only doesn’t seem to offer much of a cost saving and our current controller only allows 1 day programming and really want 7 day. Not bothered about controlling it with a phone or anything, combi boiler so hot water doesn’t need to be thought about.

Any recommendations?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Salus rt500

7 day or 5-2 programming by changing jumper on the back.

I inherritated it with the house but its been going for 4 years with me. It certainly wasnt new when i got it.

35 quid iirc.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Honeywell cm927 came recommended on here, had ours for a year with no real issues besides having it in a crap place. Bit more* expensive than the Solus mind…

*3x more

Stoner
    Free Member

+1 for the Salus. Its the only ones I use/fit for friends and family now after a CM927 died on me after only 2yrs use. overpriced, crap warranty.

ebygomm
    Free Member

The bonus with another honeywell is I know the receiver will fit the space. It’s sited on a wall that now has a kitchen unit against it with a cut out square for access.

Stoner
    Free Member

side by side for you, ebygomm:
    EDIT: this time in focus

ebygomm
    Free Member

Our space looks like this!

breadcrumb

Can I jump on the back of this thread please?

We have this set up on a oil fired boiler-

I’d like to be able to set different temperatures for different times if the day, which controller and is it simple to install?

Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

either of the salus or honeywell (*spit*) units above will do the job. Just wire in the no voltage switch wire & power supply (that currently connect to your existing timer unit) according to the instructions on the receiver relay.

Then put the wireless (battery powered) thermostat either at the location at which the original mechanical thermostat was sited (and removed) or anywhere more relevant (central hallway/in the room with open valve/no TRV)

breadcrumb

Thanks Stoner- I’ll look into the Salus. It’s a not a combi-boiler, does that make any difference?

Stoner
    Free Member

it should work with any boiler with a no voltage call switch circuit, which I presume is what you have since your current controller does that. I have one of those myself to control the time at which the wood pellet furnace can fire.

breadcrumb

Thanks again.

We leave the hot water on continuous, but have the heating on a timer- can the Salus do this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salus-RT500RF-Programmable-Frequency-Thermostat/dp/B003ERP1LE – this one?

Stoner
    Free Member

I never understood why some boilers have timers on hot water. Since Ive never owned one, I cant help with that qu, as I dont know how the DHW circuit is switched. SOme of the pros will be better placed to answer that.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ive got a CM927 and a Salus.

The Salus is cheap, works, does a job. The Honeywell is much more flexible, more programmable bit of kit. I wouldn’t buy the Salus.

In fact after a recent thing on here I would be looking st the Honeywell EvoHome stuff

ebygomm
    Free Member

Our house is not big enough, or plumbed in the right way to be ‘zoned’

All the central heating runs are in the floorspace between ground and first floor, if the heating is on in the lounge, most of the first floor will be heated from the pipe runs anyway.

footflaps

I never understood why some boilers have timers on hot water

I put a timer on our HW circuit as I don’t really need the boiler firing at 3am to top up the tank. It comes on once an hour before we get up to make sure we have HW for showers and then on a second time at 9am (after showers) to heat up the tank again which normally lasts until the next day.

stumpy01

We’ve got a wireless Honeywell that does heating and hot water. It’s been fine for about 4 years now.

It is called the Sundial RF2 pack, I think.

We bought that one to get timed hot water as well as heating.
    We run the hot water for 1hr per day and it does us fine (electric shower though) and it’s easy to top up with the ‘extra hour’ button that you can press repeatedly to get up to 3 extra hours, I think…

northernmatt

I don’t think the RT500 does heating and got water. If you want a wireless setup you’ll need an RF pack which allows you to wire the cylinder stat into the receiver and the programmer goes on the wall and talks to the receiver, pretty much the opposite of what you have now. You can also get ones that come with a wireless cylinder stat so you can do away with the wiring from the cylinder back to the boiler.

djglover
    Free Member

I just got Hive 2. Like it so far. So much easier to set on the app than previously fiddling in the airing cupboard

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a central heating controller’ is closed to new replies.