Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a carbon 27.5+ wheel set…
  • smogmonster

As above really, looking for a carbon wheel set, 27.5, minimum 40 mm rim width. The on,y I’ve found so far is from ENVE, but the price is suitably eye watering. I can’t find any other brands so far, so hoping the hive mind will know if some…

Tracey

Have a look at Sixth Element. Abigale has been running some 38mm all year and I think they do wider.

ade9933
    Free Member

Lightbicycle

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sweaman2
    Free Member

Why do you want that wide unless plus? I have Ibis 741 but most tires are not great. Love the wheels and 2.5minion but tire choice not huge unless plus.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

double post freakery

muggomagic

Light bicycle do a 45mm ID rim for $200.

pigeonthing
    Free Member

have you looked at ridge

http://www.ridgecomponents.co.uk

pigyn
    Free Member

American Classic Smoking Guns are really light and have been great on my Loki and Pony Rustler. Pretty sure carbon wouldn’t be any lighter?

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

I have these:

JRA Trail Dog Wheels

on my trail bike and they are suitably wide. They make my 2.4 Magic Marys look like plus tyres so I suspect they would be suitable. They are excellent build quality so far as well.

richP

Can’t fault my light bicycle 650b+ rims, came in at 1640g built on dt240s. Done about 4500km XC miles on them since June.

timmys

My standard shout out for Blue Flow Bikes.

42 mm width on Hope Pro4 hubs. £695

Cheaper than the options above and that’s for Hope Pro 4 hubs rather than the own brand hubs you get with the Ridge Components and JRA.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If weight is the key, you can easily get lightweight alloy wheels that match carbon weight. As said American Classic, some of their alloys are lighter than their carbon version! (personally I wouldn’t touch their carbon version with a bargepole 😉 )

Carbon – if stiffness or whatnot is the thing, then yes they’re stiff and potentially tough, but do a *lot* of research if you’re going to be riding anything other than smooth stuff. Check how low pressure they can go and watch what the warranty says. Carbon rims crack and are written off. Alloy rims ding and can often be recovered. Also big name branded carbon wheels are system wheels and often you can’t just get a replacement rim. I’d at least go for a carbon wheel you can build up.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a carbon 27.5+ wheel set…’ is closed to new replies.