Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me a campsite in the Lakes (near a pub!)
  • peterfile
    Free Member

Thinking of heading down to the Lakes this weekend.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good campsites, preferably near a pub.

A nice view and decent beer in the locality are essential 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[/url] Wasdale Head by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr[/img]
    Basic campsite, good pub and area – Wasdale Head

jekkyl

Sykeside on the road twixt Glenridding & Windermere at the base of Helvellyn, there is a pub on site with a massive window giving glorious views of the mountain. As a bonus you cycle up the mountain or up to high street straight from the site & there is a very pretty bit of water called brothers water not 5 mins walking away.
    http://www.sykeside.co.uk/index.htm

jekkyl

easygirl

Great campsite at boot,three fantastic pubs nearby, some good walking
    Hollins farm the site is called

mugsys_m8

Old Dungeon Ghyll pub at end of Langdale.
    National Trust campsite at Langdale.

You also have the Stickle Barn and New Dungeon Ghyll within staggering distance of the campsite.

It used to be great this time of year, even more so midweek mid winter.
    Langdale too popular at other times.

Great times there climbing upon Gimmer and the Langdale Pikes.

Ah those Halcyon Cragging Days finished with several pints of Yates honey beer and drunken fumbles…….

binners

Coniston Hall Campsite is a lakeside location, and you’ve got a 10 minute path walk by the lake into the village where there are numerous decent pubs

Don’t go in the summer though. You bump into the most frightful reprobates. Junkyard and Lowey for example. Can you imagine? It ruined my weekend!

Oh… and take rock pegs. You’ll need them!

davetrave
    Free Member

+1 for Langdale and the ODG – old school climbers’ pub…

On the other hand, +1 for Sykeside and the Brotherswater Inn. Although not exactly at the base of Helvellyn, more like base of the Kirkstone Pass and a short transit to get to the step-off for Helvellyn, if coming/going via Grisedale. If walking rather than biking, good base for an ascent of Fairfield via the back door…

binners

If you want something quite remote, and basic, but with a stunning view, then Stonethwaite Farm is great. There’s a Lovely pub and not much else there.

Best in the summer this one though, as you can walk up the valley and go swimming in the plunge pools. Not really the time of year for that at the moment

phil.w
    Free Member

+ 1 for Wasdale Head

lasty
    Free Member

Castlerigg above derwentwater … ?

Not as busy as some mentioned but spot on .. 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d second Boot, I’ve only stayed at the camping and caravan club site which is called ‘Eskdale’, think it used to Hollins Farm. Great facilities, three pubs withing walking distance, 2 I love the other is okay. Fanttastic walking right from the site.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Hawkshead is nice.

jekkyl

There is a bar inbetween the two castlerigg campsites and I have stayed at castlerigg farm campsite many times, the campsite and views are excellent but the bar is very poor, very small, no atmosphere and faded decor with dusty horrible stools and carpets. However you can walk down into Keswick and get a taxi back when worse for wear.

warton
    Free Member

If you want something quite remote, and basic, but with a stunning view, then Stonethwaite Farm is great. There’s a Lovely pub and not much else there.

Best in the summer this one though, as you can walk up the valley and go swimming in the plunge pools. Not really the time of year for that at the moment

I spent some great weekends in my early twenties doing just that. Woken up by the farmer with his shout of “Rent Man Come-eth” 🙂

Boots good, great campsite, great pubs, and great walking, the walk up to the big Tarn above boot, with the spooky house next to it is a must do.

binners

Warton – Fantastic place, isn’t it? I’ve had some quality weekends there. Taking a few beers up the valley in the summer, sitting in the sun and jumping in off the rocks.

I’ve also been awoken by a Hercules banking round the valley, engines screaming, and passing over what felt like about 6ft over our heads. Mental!!!

scruff
    Free Member

tick.

peterfile
    Free Member

thanks 🙂

seems i’ve got quite a few to choose from!

honeybadgerx

Bays Brown campsite in Chapel Stile, Langdale. Big fields so plenty of room, decent facilities, breakfast from the farmhouse if you want it, and best of all within walking distance to the Britannia Inn at Elterwater (best pub in the valley in my opinion, good beers and great food, as well as an ace beer garden).

Also, the campsite is very handy for the classic routes around Rydal, Hodge Close, etc.

Gary_M
    Free Member

the walk up to the big Tarn above boot, with the spooky house next to it is a must do.

Agreed, that house is very eerie. You could stay there I suppose 🙂

colournoise

Campsite at Braithwaite. Decent pub just up the road, top breakfast in the site cafe, views of Skiddaw, just down the road from Whinlatter, and some excellent natural riding/walking nearby.

edlong
    Free Member

+1 for Sykeside (Brothers Water). Nice site, great pub (top ales and views), brilliant walking and riding pretty much straight from your tent.

peterfile
    Free Member

meant to say…thanks for all the suggestions, ended up staying in the NT site at Great Langdale on Friday night then over to stay at the Wasdale Head Inn one on Saturday night.

Was good fun, a mate was actually at the Wasdale Head Inn with a gay outdoors group on the Saturday night so it was good craic

Wasdale Head is pretty special, definitely heading back there very soon.

Saw lots of MTBers, wonder how many were STWers 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve had the random Wasdale head night, headed up by myself a couple of times just for a change when I lived in Cockermouth. Great spot to wake up in.

Me and a couple of mates decided to go and bivy up above there 1 weekend, we took a beer and a hit flask with us, problem was we could still see the pub, near on ran down a gully and got down in time for a proper session in there 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

The Camping and Caravanning Club site at Boot gets my vote – stayed there on and off for a decade. Lovely clean site, usually not too busy, decent facilities and 2 pubs within a 2 minute walk (the pub in Boot is the nicer one – The Boot Inn) plus the hostel up the road did decent cheap food and beer (not sure if it still does).

A bit further down the valley, The Old Post Office campsite is ok. Next to a river with a pub next door. Facilities not so great – didn’t bother me but my wife thought it was a bit too basic.

Another campsite with basic facilities but a lovely location is the one behind Chapel Stile in Langdale – Baysbrown Farm. The Britannia Inn at Elterwater is a 10-15min walk and the Wainwrights Inn in Chapel Stile is about 5 mins – both good pubs.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a campsite in the Lakes (near a pub!)’ is closed to new replies.