Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a camera please
  • mrchrist

Hi,

No idea where to start but:
    – £300 budget
    – need to carry it on my waist or shoulder strap while cycling
    – want to take shot of mountain biking and up-close shots of groups for my website
    – needs an auto function while i learn how to use the setting
    – fairly compact

Any advice would be gratefully received.

seadog101

Canon G15

Ok, so it’s no so compact, but heck of lot of camera for £309.

nickdavies

I’ve picked up one of the nikon J2 cameras for cycling to avoid taking the SLR out.
    £180 from argos special offer, £16 for lowepro dashpoint bag which attaches to the camelback and you’ve got £100 towards biking kit.

Not *that* compact but you could spend that £100 on the 10mm prime lens.

Or just go and buy whichever of the four or five decent waterproof compacts that are out there you like the feel of the best for proper no worries biking photography. My lumix is 5 years old and has seen water, snow, sand, countless dings and drops and is just about still going.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coolhandluke
    Free Member

Fuji X20.

Loving mine here after an X20 thread on here a few weeks back with a discount code from the Fuji refurbished camera shop.

Nice handling, so much nicer than my Sony RX100 (that’s for sale if you want it)

mrchrist

Thanks, that a good start for me to do some investigating.

gwaelod
    Free Member

interested in this thread as I’m in a similar position….I’ve also noticed a Panasonic Lumix LX7 as being worth a look at. Deffo be looking at Fuji x20 though

wysiwyg
    Free Member

X series by Fuji thirded. X100 if youve got the $$

spacemonkey

A friend recently bought a Nikon D3200 with the 18-55 lens and a bunch of freebies for about £350. Lovely bit of kit. Okay, not the most portable unit but it is very light and has a shed load of ‘beginner’ features.

kayak23

stumpy01

I keep looking at the Panasonic Gf6. Then realising I don’t need another camera!

DrJ

Nice handling, so much nicer than my Sony RX100 (that’s for sale if you want it)

Can’t comment on the X20 (if it’s like my X100, I agree 100%), but the RX100 is a hell of a camera in a very small packet. On a recent trip, a friend and I both had one as a “pocket” camera and at a certain point we wondered what extra benefit we were getting from our “big” cameras (him Hasselblad, me Nikon).

Rockape63
    Free Member

Ive got a forerunner of the G15…a G10. been very pleased with it. much smaller than an SLR but takes SLR type pics

flyingmonkeycorps

Canon S(whatever they’re up to now). Similar gubbins to the G series but much smaller. I have an S95 and it’s ace.

ampthill

Can you stretch to a Canon S120. Its like the G15 above but the new version is faster on AF and continuous shooting

X20 good choice if your happy with the size

Nikon J brilliant auto focus for that type of camera, like the X20 a little bit bigger

Panasonic LX7 and Olympus XZ-2. Great cameras that are near the end of their product cycles than the Canon S120, so inside your budget. So slower AF and continuous continuous shooting speeds but still great cameras.

Sony RX100 is in many ways the daddy smaller camera but its out of your budget at 399

5thElefant
    Free Member

You should just about get a sony rx100 in budget if you shop around.

mrchrist

hmmmm I like the rx100 alot

geoffj

Olympus TG-2

20thebear
    Free Member

x20 user here

molgrips
    Free Member

– £300 budget
    – need to carry it on my waist or shoulder strap while cycling

Olympus TG-2. It’s water/mud proof so you don’t need to pack it away in a bag – you can strap it to a shoulder strap and you don’t even need to stop riding to get it out and take a picture. Far more convenient than the usual, which helps get lots more pictures for much less faff.

Something like this:

The camera is bungeed to it so you can’t drop it, which is why you can whip it out with one hand without worry. I’ve got one for the older tough series (not such good cameras) and it’s just brilliant.

Frankers
    Free Member

I’ve had loads of compact Cameras recently with work Lumix, Sony, etc

Favourite is Cannon Powershot Sxxx

grantway
    Free Member

I’ll go for the Canon G15 as I have the Canon G11 which as been a great camera
    But there is significant improvements on the Canon G15 and is faster to use
    and mostly by controlling the camera by one hand.
    My Mrs loves it where as she can simply turn to auto on the top plate to snap away
    rather than keep asking how to access the cameras menu system and miss the picture.

Basically with the Canon G range anyone can pick the camera up and take a good quality
    picture without learning how to actually use it.

If you want more of a compact camera but with very good results then the Sony RX100
    seems to get great reviews and has WIFI connectivity.

Sony RX100

Sony RX100 review

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Sony Rx100 or the new Panasonc TX 60. My TX 40 is incredible.

grantway
    Free Member

Amendment its the Sony RX100 11 that has the WIFI and more money.

But this Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 £339 a little bit more but will give you greater flexibility and is WIFI

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6

grantway
    Free Member

This is the review Panasonic Lumix GF6

If you do go for the Panasonic. I have read that some mobile phones have trouble connecting
    with the Panasonic, and that your advised to take your phone with you and try to connect with
    the Panasonic GF6.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a camera please’ is closed to new replies.