Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me a Camelbak or similar for summer
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Currently got a Camelbak Blowfish that is 4 years old and served me well but its a bit OTT in size during the warmer months. So i’m looking for an alternative that won’t break the bank and is smaller/lighter. I am used to waiststraps on my packs for security but maybe thats just my own personal preference, are packs without waiststraps still secure and dont bounce about.

Like the look of the Camelbak Lobo and Rogue, any users?

Not a fan of bottles on bikes, prefer hydration packs, before its mentioned 🙂

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Check out the osprey range of backpacks, namely the viper and Raptor. Both come in various sizes all the way down to 4lt size.
    http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/mens_1_1/viper_series_hydration_packs
    Review here:

Osprey Viper 4 hydration pack

kiwijohn

Lobo is good. I do prefer a waist strap to stop it bouncing up.

drapper
    Free Member

Osprey Raptor 10 – All Day Pack
    or
    Osprey Viper 7 – 1/2 Day Pack

Osprey are more about function than style! Cameback are waggly on the back and are very overpriced! Same as Dakine…. Take it form me the MTB hippies form Osprey really know what goes into a light well designed bike pack!

perthmtb
    Free Member

Got the Rogue – works well if you don’t carry much stuff, but it does hit me in the back of the head every time I do a log-over due to the lack of a waist strap!

Have you thought about the new ‘LS’ models (Octane LS, Charge LS) that have side pockets – I’m thinking to go for one of those next as I like the convenience of being able to access camera, phone, munchies on the go – and the waist strap!

airbus387
    Free Member

Hi have a look at the camelbak mule nv super pack for 3 hour ride i think its the best pack i have used.10/10 for it wont go into all the detail about it your better to have a look at one 😀

chrisridesbikes
    Free Member

I agree with the above. Camelbak Mule NV best bag i have ever used. Totally chuffed with mine and would replace it with another in a flash if i ever needed to.

Think i paid £60-70 for mine which i consider a bargain.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Have you thought about the new ‘LS’ models (Octane LS, Charge LS) that have side pockets

Correction LR, not LS, stands for Lumbar Reservoir.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Ive just got a Evoc CC 10L pack to replace my old mule. i love it, used my camelbak bladder as it was only replaced earlier this year so the pack was only £50 with Wiggle. cant knock it, looks proper fresh too!

stumpy01

Been looking into this recently as my normal pack is a bit large for shorter rides.

The new Osprey Syncros looks good, as does the Ergon BX2 & the Camelbak Mule.
    Ideally I want a pack with some kind of back ventilation that lifts the pack from your back – like my Vaude bag. I think the Osprey has a similar system.

scotty38
    Free Member

I have an Osprey Raptor 14 for longer rides and a Camelbak Lobo for short ones. Both suit me fine although I bought the Raptor with the intention of using it for everything. Once I’d got it I thought it was a bit big for 2-3 hours hence why I now have a Lobo too.
    A Raptor 10 may have worked for both, or it could have been too small for one and too big for the other but I’ll never know… 🙂

transapp
    Free Member

I use the rogue, it’s good for upto 3hr hour rides with a couple of tubes, multi tool, CO2, food, keys, phone and money, but will struggle with any layers if you’re inclined to take a coat or similar with you. I don’t bother so I find it good.
    I liked the look of the Charge LR in the shop, but I was put off with the back coverage, I think it’ll be pretty sweaty, but in the winter, for longer rides (accepting it’s a 2l) I reckon it’ll be very good.

hainman
    Free Member

was in go-outdoors today and was looking at the lowe alpine edge18.doesnt have a blader but i have plenty of them….
    30pound so does anyone here used one before….

stanley

Got loads of Camelbaks, Deuters, Wingnut, etc. here.

Really liking the Camelbak Octane LR at the moment.
    Very light, just the right size for Summer, sits low on the hips, doesn’t move about, good (accessible on the go) hip pockets.
    On the down side- the bladder is only 2 litres.

Recommended. Certainly a league better than the Lobo.
    Tried a Charge LR too but imo the Octane LR is better designed.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Camelbak or similar for summer’ is closed to new replies.