Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a budget GPS watch that will sync with smartphone/Strava
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Recommend me a budget GPS watch that will sync with smartphone/Strava.

It’s for my other half to use for running and occasional cycling. She currently just uses her iphone but it’s heavy to carry, not water-resistant, and the battery dies in the cold temperatures.

A cheap GPS watch / activity tracker that will sync via bluetooth with her iphone/strava app after a run/ride would be great.

Any suggestions would be great,

Thanks in advance,

Paceman

bikerbruce
    Free Member

I like my Lezyne watch

oikeith

Garmin Forerunner 220 can be found on ebay for around £60, will sync via bluetooth to a smatrphone. I am not sure if it has a cycling screen, but this can be changed once uploaded.

I think the Garmin forerunner 225 or 230 have a cycling mode.

richmars

Tom Tom syncs to phones and is fairly cheap. Happy with mine.

simon_g

Garmin Forerunner 25 or Vivoactive.

colournoise

Sony Smartwatch 3. Not a ‘sports’ watch as such but ticks all the boxes. Pretty (relatively) cheap now too.

lunge

I’m looking for something very similar and came across this from Decathlon which looks interesting.

funkybaj
    Free Member

I’ve recently picked up a tomtom runner/spark 3 which I’ve been impressed with so far. They start from £100 ish but it’s well worth picking up the music version so you can load it up with some tunes.

zerolight
    Free Member

The Garmin Edge 520 goes on sale from time to time. Not budget, but doesn’t need to be expensive either. You can setup the Garmin Connect profile so that it connects with Strava, so that whenever you upload to Garmin it automatically goes to Strava. The 520 connects over bluetooth with your phone to automate the upload to Garmin. It also syncs down all your favourite segments from Strava to give you Live Segments (presuming you have a Strava Premium account). I’m very pleased with mine. It just kinda works, and my ride appears on Strava before I’ve even got my bike back in the garage.

Just noticed it’s a thing for your wife. Get whatever cheap Garmin can connect with a phone over bluetooth to upload to Garmin connect. Then the Strava connection can happen afterwards online. I don’t think anything will directly sync with Strava.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Sony Smartwatch 3 here for the last few days, £80 from Amazon, but bought in “bigthanks” sale last week so was £70. Still getting to grips with it, can be used in standalone mode to use its own GPS for Ghostracer and Strava.

I’ve taken both the watch and my Nexus tablet on a couple of quick rides, while running one with Strava and one with Ghostracer, getting different segment times. Yet to work out if its the default app settings, or each device’s GPS technology, or a bit of both.
    The GPS recording rate can be changed for Ghostracer from the default 2seconds and 10metres, I tried 1sec/1metre this afternoon, but I’ve read conflicting accounts of whether this setting actually works when using the SSW3 in standalone mode.

bombjack
    Free Member

Another SW3 user here – Would defo reccomend it. Ghost racer is a decent little app if you’re looking to run without your phone, and TBH I prefer the display to the Strava wear one. Swim.com is also handy if your swimming as this syncs to the SW3.

TimP
    Free Member

I have the older TomTom, you can have a look on Sunday, it is the same size as the new ones.

Find it pretty good, it turned itself off once in the last year, but we were stopped for nearly 40mins. Not got close to testing the 10hr GPS battery, but a Sunday morning 4hr ride seems to take just under half of a fully charged battery so no reason to doubt it and it did a day in Wales with plenty to spare. Not the fastest Bluetooth transfer, but it gets on with it slowly in the background when I jump in the shower. Newer ones do HR through the back of it and seem to get pretty good reviews.

Been tempted to upgrade mine to a newer one but sticking with this for now

rossburton
    Free Member

The Forerunner 610 can be had for not a huge amount on eBay and whilst primarily a runners watch has a fully functional cycle mode.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a budget GPS watch that will sync with smartphone/Strava’ is closed to new replies.