Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)
  • recommend me a budget DLSR
  • nmdbase
    Free Member

Fact, photo’s next to each other in raw here, plus the crap IQ

donsimon
    Free Member

My facts would disagree with your facts. FACT.
    So to put it simply, you’re wrong. 😆

5thElefant
    Free Member

Fact, photo’s next to each other in raw here, plus the crap IQ

Where?

flow
    Free Member

Sorry I’m not having it, the A900 isn’t comparable, in any ISO test.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/a900-5dmkii.shtml

At ISO 800 and higher the Canon is visibly superior, especially in the noise department.

The bottom line then when it comes to image quality is that for shooting in normal conditions one really wouldn’t choose one camera over the other based on IQ, but that if shooting in low light or with slower lenses is your bag, then the Canon definitely gets the nod.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E5D2/E5D2RAW.HTM

nmdbase
    Free Member

on my computer 🙄

flow
    Free Member

The 7D image quality is nowhere near as good as the 5D, or 5D2.

I owned a 7D from new for over a month, and replaced it with a 5D2.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Ahh, he probably is used to consumer JPEG colours 😆

nmdbase
    Free Member

This isn’t helping the OP

molgrips
    Free Member

Stoppit you lot, you’re scaring the newbies.

flow
    Free Member

Sorry

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sorry I’m not having it, the A900 isn’t comparable, in any ISO test.

From the same article:

Peering at the screen and looking at prints produced results which pretty much matches DxOMark’s test results, as seen below. What we see is that the Sony and the Canon are essentially indistinguishable up to and including ISO 800.

Below is a noise comparison graph from DxO Labs that shows what to expect. My recent three-way noise comparison test pretty much corroborates when we see here. (Please note that a numeric difference of 3 or less on DxO’s measurements is visibly insignificant, and below 1 likely falls within the margin of measurement error).

To me that’s comparable with the canon slightly better.

If you consider that not to be comparable then that’s fine.

Stoppit you lot, you’re scaring the newbies.

Probably too late to stop now 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Ahh, he probably is used to consumer JPEG colours

Of course, that’ll be it.
    You’re still wrong though.

The 7D image quality is nowhere near as good as the 5D, or 5D2.

Who’s said that the 7d is better than the 5d?

nmdbase
    Free Member

I thought DxO tests were uummmm…not good?

flow
    Free Member

If you scroll down a bit and read what they say instead of looking at graphs which mean nothing when the end product is a photo…..

If you’ve read the above you’ll conclude, as we have, that the A900 offers slightly better measurable image quality results at lower ISO’s (under 400) but that the 5D MKII is the clear leader at higher ISO’s. It needs to be said though that the advantage that the Sony has at 800 and slower may be measurable, but frankly isn’t visible. Both cameras are simply superb from 100 to 800 ISO and any differences seen in the three areas discussed are simply a quibble.

At ISO 800 and higher the Canon is visibly superior, especially in the noise department.

The bottom line then when it comes to image quality is that for shooting in normal conditions one really wouldn’t choose one camera over the other based on IQ, but that if shooting in low light or with slower lenses is your bag, then the Canon definitely gets the nod.

As we were on about HIGH ISO I think I win, thank you please.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I thought DxO tests were uummmm…not good?

DXO make sensor testing equipment used by camera manufacturers. What they don’t do is consider resolution or IQ in their tests. You need to know how to read the data to make sense of it.

They get a bad rep because people pick out one number out of context and claim it means something that it doesn’t. The problem isn’t the tests though, it’s lack of understanding of what they mean.

flow
    Free Member

Ahh forget the OP, he can make a new thread!

nmdbase
    Free Member

Think my cold is getting worse 🙁

5thElefant
    Free Member

As we were on about HIGH ISO I think I win, thank you please.

I was using ‘my’ camera as a benchmark to say I was happy with high iso performance. I did that because m4/3 and other systems were being discussed then we got into more ISO vs more MP which is preferable.

The canon and sony are comparible when compared against aps-c or m4/3 cameras. Both being extremely good but not the best.

Head to head the canon is better at high iso but in the context of the conversation it’s slight.

I do however bow to your mighty, and well waved, high iso willy (all one stop of it). 😉

flow
    Free Member

I told you, 5000mg Vit C a day, but you dont listen because you like men.

flow
    Free Member

I do however bow to you

Thats all I read 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

😆

donsimon
    Free Member

While all you pros are on here, does anyone do commercial product photography?

molgrips
    Free Member

5Ds are absolutely massive though. I could never see myself using one of those bricks.

Olympus rock!

5thElefant
    Free Member

5Ds are absolutely massive though. I could never see myself using one of those bricks.

Olympus rock!
    Which is why my e-p2 gets used rather a lot.

nmdbase
    Free Member

don simon – Member

No, but I know a man that does 🙂 Oh he hasn’t got a 7D, he’s got a 5D2 😆

grum
    Free Member

No, not my thing. Think MrSmith does though, and I believe he uses a 5D MK II IIRC.

donsimon
    Free Member

No, but I know a man that does Oh he hasn’t got a 7D, he’s got a 5D2

I apologise for confusing you but clearly you don’t have the ability to understand what I had said. If the man you know has the same lack of ability and snobbery as you, I’ll pass thanks.

glenh
    Free Member

nmdbase – Member
    actually it’s as good a my old Cannon 5D
    complete bollocks

Do you have both to compare?

I do, and for the sort of shooting I do at least, the nex5 generally outperforms the D5.

The dynamic range is better (see dxomark) and while the D5 supposedly has better ISO performace, in my experience this doesn’t actually carry through to the real world – the nex5 does better in most situations.

Of course the 5D has some benefits like the fact it’s full frame, and has a wider range of (autofocus) lenses available, but I certainly never bother carrying the D5 anywhere.

glenh
    Free Member

ps, I don’t see why this should be surprising. The D5 is old technology compared to the nex5.

flow
    Free Member

The Nex 5 has more comparable image quality to a 7D, its got nothing on a 5D with a decent lens.

As for old tech, are you serious? The 5D mk1 image quality is as good as most new cameras.

glenh
    Free Member

It’s 5 years older, which is a lot for camera sensor technology.

And yes, the 5D is as good as many new new DSLRs (although the new ones cost a lot less the the 5D did). My point was that so are the NEXs.

They might have small bodies but that doesn’t mean the contents are worse.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/734%7C0/(brand)/Sony/(appareil2)/737%7C0/(brand2)/Sony
    (ps both these cameras score higher than the 5D)

flow
    Free Member

Err, its about photos.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page15.asp

Compare it to a 5D Mk2 on there, theres not that much difference between a mk1 & 2 so a fair comparison I would say.

The Sony is not as good in any way.

Its roughly as good as a 550D if you compare them, which is what you would expect.

glenh
    Free Member

Err, its about photos.

Where do you think those numbers come from?

Anyway, there’s quite a lot difference between the 5D mk2 and Mk1 (and nex5): more than 50% better resolution for a start!
    The resolution is what makes most of the difference in those full crop images.
    Compare the higher resolution nex5n and you’ll see much less of a difference (although still a bit because the 5Dmk2 is still higher res).
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex5n/page14.asp

I’m not saying the nex5 is as good as a 5D mk2, because it clearly isn’t, but there isn’t much between the nex5 and the 5D mk1.

Technology marches on 😀

nmdbase
    Free Member

That’s why people sell mk2’s for mk1’s then 😆 You clearly know lots. Don Simon you seem a little thick to me 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Don Simon you seem a little thick to me

Why’s that then, petal?
    You misread what I write, then feel it’s a good idea to try and take the pi55 based on your misunderstanding and equally misplaced superiority, and finally call me thick. Interesting.

glenh
    Free Member

That’s why people sell mk2’s for mk1’s then You clearly know lots.

Thanks, I do this stuff for a living, so that’s good to know. 😉

glenh
    Free Member

p.s. if you have a 5D mk2 , I’ll happily swap for my mk1 😆

nmdbase
    Free Member

How did I misread what you wrote then?

donsimon
    Free Member

How did I misread what you wrote then?

Apologies, wrong person. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 150 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a budget DLSR’ is closed to new replies.