Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Recommend me a breathable waterproof shell as follows…..
  • yoshimi

I use a Bontrager Packable Event Jacket now which I LOVE, but it doesn’t have a hood.

I’m off to Canada at weekend and will be doing quite a lot of hiking so after something very similar but with hood.

Lightweight shell
    Packable
    Waterproof
    Breathable (I really like Event fabric based on my Bontrager)
    Preferably with pit vents
    Not too bothered about pockets, simpler the better
    With hood
    Price – hopefully around £100

Thanks

EDIT: longer at at the back so can be used on the bike

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Buy a waterproof hat. 🙂

TimCotic
    Free Member

My brother has a grey Pace Event shell (used by the Cotic/AQR team) he reckons it’s the best compromise in terms of breathability and waterproofing. When I’ve borrowed it, I found it a lot less sweaty than my Endura Convert (which ain’t bad btw). Not sure they even make them now – you’ll have to call Pace.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    twang
    Free Member

Rab Demand pull-on

yoshimi

Tim – no hood on the Pace one (now made by Vaude by the looks of it)

Flashy…..erm, thats actually a really good idea! (btw it was your recommendation some time ago that led me to my current Bontrager, HI-5!)

Anyway – not like I’ll need it as it’ll be sunny all the time we’re there (fingers crossed)

theblackmount
    Free Member

http://www.ultimateoutdoors.co.uk/item/Brand_OMMKamleikaRaceJacket_0_0_29091_2.html?ref=PLA&?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Product%2BListing%2BAds&utm_campaign=Google%2BShopping&gclid=CLepkY6F5rgCFXMgtAodOmsAqg

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So, I’m two from two! Wooyay!

I just don’t really see the point of a new jacket when your existing one fits almost every single criteria above.

FWIW, if you can, see if there are any hats like my old Lowe Alpine one, as it has ear and neck flaps (fnarr, fnarr, flaps) meaning it’s pretty much as good as a hood.

lornholio
    Free Member

You won’t fine eVent for £100. Either go for something like a Montane Minimus in that budget, or spend £150-200 on a Rab eVent shell.

boblo
    Free Member

I have that Rab Demand Pull On. It doesn’t have pit zips but is otherwise ace.

bellefied
    Free Member

Used all kinds of shells when climbing and trekking, including event – sold most of them as I’m constantly searching for the one do it all jacket, but the one material that has really stood out for me as being a truly breathable and waterproof membrane has been neoshell.

They make it in two varieties; hardshell and softshell – but both are waterproof, the difference is that the softshell has a wicking inner and I really like it – I’ve got the marmot zion (but don’t like the hood! doh!) and can race up mountains without being left with that boil in the bag feeling.

Don’t get me wrong, you still sweat when you are working hard but the fabric just lifts it off you and gets rid of it.

Its better than event in my opinion.

Frankers
    Free Member

boblo – Member

I have that Rab Demand Pull On. It doesn’t have pit zips but is otherwise ace.

Me too.. great jacket but not available any more

vondally
    Free Member

omm very very good, soft quiet and fragile when you come off but reading your post

OMM excellent for hiking running
    Montane Atomic jacket bit more robust in event fabric got mine for 27.50 in TK Maxx sale
    before reading OP again I was ranting

after years of searching nothing keeps me dry as a Zindane Zindane profuse perspiring person

I would tens to use a windproof to give the wind insulation and then poly/man made fibres underneath NOT wool as a baselayer….may work for some

Sanny
    Free Member

Rab Momentum – £130 from Cotswold at the moment. I know as I bought one last week to replace the one that I have worn out.

Event, a volume adjustable hood with peak that goes over a helmet, 2 napoleon pockets – a great bit of kit and a steal at that price.

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Rab Momentum – £130 from Cotswold at the moment. I know as I bought one last week to replace the one that I have worn out.

Event, a volume adjustable hood with peak that goes over a helmet, 2 napoleon pockets – a great bit of kit and a steal at that price.

Cheers

Sanny

yoshimi

Sanny – how do they size up?

Trying to decide between one of thee or a hat 😕

obelix
    Free Member

What washing gels / powders do you all use?

I see most of these fabrics shouldn’t be washed with 2-in-1’s or biologicals, but I never seem to find just plain detergent for a machine.

I’ve just been using 2-in-1 on a first wash, then been putting jacket (gore-tex) through on a 2nd wash with only the nikwax in, but it’s not beading the water off any more.

woody2000

yoshimi

I use the Nikwak TK wash stuff (Event fabric still beads)

If you are having problems with not beading I’d suggest using the Nikwak spray rather than the wash in stuff

theprawn
    Free Member

breathable and waterproof you say…

ha!

jools182
    Free Member

got one of these for £130 at weekend from Outside in Hathersage

Haglofs Gram

theprawn
    Free Member

do they do a mens version?

yoshimi

Rab momentum ordered! I’ll see what it’s like when it turns up…if I’m not keen I’ll be hunting for a hat!

jools182
    Free Member

theprawn – Member
    do they do a mens version?

yawn

seosamh77
    Free Member

I bought this the other week, done me proud in the pissing rain of the cairngorms last week!! 🙂 £50

http://www.millets.co.uk/clothing/110431-berghaus-mens-monsoon-rain-jacket.html

theprawn
    Free Member

I’m serious Jules, it’s got quite a feminine cut

BlindMelon
    Free Member
    thehustler
    Free Member

dare2b jacket

you’d have to go a long way to beat this for value £25 !!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a breathable waterproof shell as follows…..’ is closed to new replies.