Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommend me a brake set for my birthday please
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

..so, my birthday is coming up soon and will treat myself a brakeset… Im kinda been on a mtb sabbatical for quiet sometime.. is SRAM Guide (RS) still the brake to have at this time? or is there new brakes on the block?

whilst shimanos are good just can’t get along with their on/off feel of their brakes. cheers

deviant
    Free Member

Not cheap but Zee and Saint offer the modulation you’re after.
    The 4 piston design has one pair biting the rotor momentarily earlier than the other pair giving great feel and when all 4 pistons bite you get immense power, my Saints were great however they fetch such good money second hand they were eBay’d to fund a new bike build.
    Highly recommended though.

submarined
    Free Member

Really like the RSCs that came on my bike. I was prepared to take them straight off to sell in new condition to find Hopes, but a previous ride on the standard Guide R piqued my interest.
    Powerful, and really nice modulation.
    However, they’ve proven a right shit to bleed. I can’t get the bit point anywhere near where it was before I had to separate the hose, and from googling, this isn’t uncommon. It’s actually enough to change my mind and want to sell them, which is a real shame as they were great on the factory bleed.

ajantom

Hope Tech 3 E4s. Look lovely and have great modulation.
    Probably the easiest brand of brakes to bleed too.

chipster

ajantom – Member
    Hope Tech 3 E4s.

What he ^ said.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I currently have Hope Tech 4s on my main bike. Been good for a few years with no issues.

Just building up a more modest hardtail and looking at Magura MT5s maybe a 5 on the front (4piston)and MT4 (2 piston) on the rear.

But very tempted to just get more Hopes. Might even get a pair of X2s and put an m4 on the front of both bikes and x2 on the rears.

zerolight
    Free Member

Another vote for E4s. Excellent.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Hope else Shimano.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a brake set for my birthday please’ is closed to new replies.