Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a book to inspire me to go mountain walking in Scotland
  • ampthill

I have walked in Scotland but its been a while. I want inspiration more than detail. With maps and the internet I can probably adapt routes or find routes to suite me

What is inspiration about areas to visit, so photos are key

This looks the best so far based on searching online. The routes will be too long but I can get around that.

somafunk

Hell of a Journey – on foot through the Scottish Highlands is a good read, especially sat in front of a roaring fire with a glass of whisky beside you.

or

Scotland by Cicerone books, quite a hefty book but one that i often pick up and marvel at the areas i will never get to explore 😀

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The First Fifty by Muriel Gray. Read it years ago but fair enjoyed it, quite humorous.

trademark
    Free Member

100 Best Routes on Scottish Mountains
    and
    Exploring Scottish Hilltracks

Both by Ralph Storer.

ampthill

Hell of a Journey – on foot through the Scottish Highlands is a good read, especially sat in front of a roaring fire with a glass of whisky beside you.

or

Scotland by Cicerone books, quite a hefty book but one that i often pick up and marvel at the areas i will never get to explore

The first might be a good read on Kindle

the second looks like a good option

The First Fifty by Muriel Gray. Read it years ago but fair enjoyed it, quite humorous

I should reread that its full of ideas

Exploring Scottish Hilltracks

I have that and have used it to plan a long ride, thanks

100 Best Routes on Scottish Mountains

In the right area but I’m looking for more phots

thank you all

any more ideas

thegreatape
    Free Member

The Cicerone Scottish Ridges one is quite good.

somafunk
    scotroutes

Have you looked at some of the drone footage now available on Youtube?

These three aren’t all mountains but are still pretty inspiring

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTy0TNEBlNg[/video]
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnD8tQCEec8[/video]
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA_CLal14u4[/video]

footflaps

poly
    Free Member

Photos will only show you: A) what you would have seen if the weather was better or B) that professional photographers are better at taking pictures than you!

If you want inspiration for the whole experience of Scottish walking, rather than just the view I suggest that whilst written over twenty years ago “the first fififty” by murial gray is entertaining rather than a dull history or guide book.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Not a book but Is “The Angry Corrie” still going? Was a great read..

trail_rat
    Free Member

The first third of hell of a journeys greAt.

He then seemed to lose enthusiasm for writing and it turned into and i did this i did that list- it kind of conincided with when in the book he lost enthusiasm for the journey

Disapointed as it had so much promise in the start.

My favorite acottish mountain book to date is cairngorm john. It was an excellent read and just made me itch to get out into the cairngorms. It also drives home a very important message.

BigR

I got a little bored as above with Hell of a Journey.
    Although a little older Hamish’s Mountain Walk I think is a better read and as it is done through the year rather than just winter is a bit more uplifting and inspiring.

scotroutes

Good recommendation. And written before HB turned into a fascist moany auld git 🙂

gordimhor

If photos inspire you then look at some of the many landscape photography books. Colin Prior is a good example. While looking at the photos read Always a little further by Alastair Borthwick old but imo full of inspiration or Mountain days and Bothy Nights which is not particularly old has drawings not photos but is bloody funny

ampthill

Great suggestions

sadly I can’t find Munro bagging without a beard on kindle

leaning towards Scotland by Cicerone at the moment

Thanks

John

Oh and the videos are great, we’ll watch more later

irc

The Big Walks

The High Mountains of Britain and Ireland: A Guide for Mountain Walkers:
    by Irvine Butterfield

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Mountain Bike Scotland by Kenny Wilson?

km79
    Free Member

Rorschach
    Free Member

bajsyckel

stevenmenmuir – Member

Mountain Bike Scotland by Kenny Wilson?

😆 Harsh 😆

My suggestion, if limited to one – Nan Shepherd’s The Living Mountain

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

^The Big Walks by Ken Wilson and A.N.Other. British Isles, but mostly and rightly centred around Scotland. It’s the coffee table book that captured my imagination 30 years ago in my early twenties, led on to many winter climbing trips in Scoltand and summers in the Alps (even taking our mtbs long before mtbing in the alps became popular).

wanmankylung
    Free Member

There are loads. The ones that I like most are the Scottish Mountaineering Council’s Munros and Corbetts books. I’m pretty sure that they have some area specific ones which have a bit more detail. Cameron McNeish has written some good books too.

CountZero

Get hold of Robert Macfarlane’s books and read those, he’s written one about mountain climbing, and others about walking and exploring remote places in the UK; tremendously inspiring writer.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a book to inspire me to go mountain walking in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.