Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a book on the Tour de France
  • brooess
    Free Member

One that covers the whole history from beginning to end… which will keep me busy on Xmas day!

toxicsoks
    Free Member

This –

corroded
    Free Member

The Yellow Jersey Companion to the TDF by Les Woodland is actually very good. I

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I believe a man called LAnce Armstrong has written a few 😉

MrAgreeable

A Race For Madmen is excellent, one of the most readable sports books I’ve come across, and he also gives the Armstrong years some very balanced coverage (detailing the Christophe Bassons episode, for example).

MoreCashThanDash

Ned Boultings “How I lost the Yellow Jumper” or whatever it’s called is a very easy read covering the last 10 years or so.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

not quiet what your looking for but ‘french revolutions’ by tim moore is really good. made me laugh and gave me a feel for what it must be like to ride the tour as i cant relate to it properly not being a superhuman 🙂

Blackhound

For history I would suggest Graham Fife’s Tour de France: the history, the legend,the riders, I have an earlier version.

PaulD
    Free Member

One from the charity shops is ’23 days in July’ written by a journo covering one year’s race by looking into each team’s performance and strategies.
    Definitely not a multi-year history, nor a Lance Armstrong Promo Book, but a good insight to the whole event.

PaulD

gren
    Free Member

French Revolutions is good but not really tdf. Have Race for Madmen next on my book pile. Comes highly recommended

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Blazing Saddles – The Cruel and Unusual History of the Tour de France (by Matt Rendell)

Summarises each year of the tour in a couple of pages or so, with tales of how in the early years riders would catch the train to get a lead or get beaten up when going through villages that supported someone in the pursuing group.

I’m going to have to dig out my copy again, now you’ve reminded me!

hammerite
    Free Member

Far from a history of the race, Wide Eyed and Legless. About ANC-Halfords at the 1987 tour, very good read.

winston
    Free Member

Geoffrey Wheatcroft wrote one called Le Tour – its a bit linear but readable

I know loads of people love it here but French Revolutions is the worst cycling book I’ve ever read

edhornby

I didn’t enjoy french revolutions either, I thought he was a thoroughly unpleasant bloke judging from the story about the postcard that he chucked as soon as the guy gave it to him

butcher

I really enjoyed Race For Madmen. It’s not a literary classic by any means, but I found it a real page turner all the same. And starts from day one. A thorough and enjoyable history.

Currently reading Lance Armstrong’s It’s Not About The Bike, and whilst The Tour is actually only a very small part of the book, it’s a bloody good read.

audiophile
    Free Member

+1 for The History, The Legend, The Riders by Graeme Fife.

charliedontsurf

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moustache-Poison-Blue-Glasses-France/dp/0953172910

Details all the cheating, riots, murdering etc that happened in the early tours.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a book on the Tour de France’ is closed to new replies.