• This topic has 19 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend me a book.
  • jim79
    Free Member

Just about to start on Smileys People after reading the first two, which I couldn’t put down.
    Can anyone recommend a book with similar themes (spies!) that is as well written?
    Thanks in advance.

mikeys

Try Agent Zigzag. I read it a while ago, but remember it being a good read, with the added bonus of it being (relatively) real.

somafunk

Not a work of fiction but Frederick Forsyth – The Outsider is a damn good autobiographical read

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    duncancallum

The Bourne trilogy by Robert Ludlum. An excellent cold war/cia thriller.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

deighton’s trilogies.

craigxxl
    Free Member

As above the Bourne trilogy. Great reads and only the very basics of the books were translated into the film with the originals being far better.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Game Set and Match trilogy. By deighton.

Its exactly what youre looking for.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Zigzag as above, or Operation Mincemeat by the same author.

mefty
    Free Member

deighton’s trilogies.

Big fan of Deighton – less cerebral and more brutal than Le Carre – the Bernard Sampson trilogies are great, but don’t forget the Harry Palmer novels, Eric Ambler for a forgotten writer, Graham Greene wrote some espionage as did Somerest Maugham, based on their own service.

Stoner
    Free Member

+1 for the 3x Deighton trilogies. Got me hooked on spy stuff as a teenager.

jim79
    Free Member

Did think about Bourne, but thought as I’d seen all the films, the books might be a bit familiar I think I will give them a go. Cheers for the other recommendations, I will look them up.

CountZero

Old school, but I’ve always enjoyed Erskine Childers The Riddle Of The Sands, set in 1903, really influential in spy fiction. Stella Rimington, former DG of MI5, has written a series of novels on espionage and counter-terrorism, I’ve read the first one, as a free ebook, and really enjoyed it, if anyone knows the workings of spook business, she ought to.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Currently reading I am Pilgrim. Part crime thriller / spy fiction.
    It is very much ‘Hollywood blockbuster’ of a book though.
    Enjoying it though

mattsccm
    Free Member

If you like a series Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan books are easy reading with enough technical stuff to seem real. Do it in chronological order not in thee order they were written.

jimw
    Free Member

Dominion by C.J.Sansom is worth a read.

However, since I found the Bourne films better than the books, I may not be best qualified to comment.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Presently enjoying “Look who’s Back”.

Hitler wakes up, on a patch of wasteland in 2011. Exeryone assumes he’s an alternative comedian, and starts to build a following……

Fantombiker

The sisters brothers

BillMC

Why not read about the real stuff:
    RV Jones ‘Most Secret War’.
    I was so captivated by it, I finished it and started it again straight away.

richardkennerley

Despite the casual racism and misogyny, the original Bond books are pretty good reading.

kilo

A spy among friends is a very good read and gives a more accurate view on mi6 than they like to spin. He wrote agent zigzag which as mentioned above is also very good.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a book.’ is closed to new replies.