Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommend me a blueray player please
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I know nothing about them, but I’d like a film to continue where I stopped watching it if I stop it and turn it off though,

Suppose upscaling would be good too, for if we replace our aging plasma one day.

nickdavies

?

Ahhh… ninja edit!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

😀
    Nice try.

Cougar

All modern TVs upscale, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over that. “Upscaling players” are a marketing ploy, unless the upscaler is of above average quality.

Blu-Ray has reached the “commodity” stage in its evolution. Back when I bought one I spent weeks researching what was good because many weren’t. But if mine went pop tomorrow I’d probably buy the cheapest named-brand. (Actually, I wouldn’t bother, I’d use the Xbox.)

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Ive got a Samsung 3D bluray with freeview HD and 1TB HDD. If thats any use? May be over budget as its all dancing

Drac

PS4 Pro.

Cougar

Here you go. Sony BD player, £35. At that price point if you later change your TV and it doesn’t do what you want, throw it in the bin. The features you’ll pay hundreds for now will be in the latest £35 players in a few years, assuming BD isn’t obsolesced by 16K Really Very High Definition Indeed discs.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/blu-ray-dvd/sony-dvpsr760.html

Cougar

PS4 Pro.

Fanboy.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@cougar

That’s a DVD player, but a good one…

I got one for £31 from John Lewis.

I had to buy an hdmi cable, but coupled with a s/h acer computer monitor, its excellent, waaay better than using a laptop to watch my dvds. In fact, it makes ‘alien vs predator2’ watchable. And it connects easily to my hi-fi via stereo/ rca cable.

As to the blu-ray question, I’m putting off buying one myself until the prices come down (hence the purchase of the Sony DVD player).

Personally, I’d be looking for 4K upscaling, as well as the ability to play blu rays, regardless of the region.

But this is going to cost at least £150.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

All modern TVs upscale

Ours is a 10+ year old plasma so very much doubt it upscales. A £400 Panasonic 37″.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Ours is a 10+ year old plasma so very much doubt it upscales

the nature of the tech means the inherently upscale anyway, and still better motion handling than most TVs, which is why I bought one a while ago.

The only flaw is it sometimes is a bit messy on contrast 🙁

Cougar

That’s a DVD player, but a good one…

Oh smeg, oops. I thought it was cheap! Here then, £70.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/blu-ray-dvd/sony-bdps1700.html

Ours is a 10+ year old plasma so very much doubt it upscales

What are you actually meaning by “upscaling” here?

GavinT
    Free Member

I have a samsung one and it does pick up from where you last were. Even if you’ve changed disks in between. Witchcraft…

jekkyl

a playstation, it has the added advantage of being a playstation. Games console that can stream pics and vids and play games on for all the family. Can also access netflix and amazon and play movies through the USB port. Also a music player, dvd and CD. Tons of uses. Get a playstation.

brassneck

XBox One S.

For balance.

jonnyboi

An old PS3 will do the job, plus you can use still use it for streaming services like Netflix, amaxon, now tv etc.

why pay more

Mikkel
    Free Member

I got a 35 pound Samsung, took it back as it was soooo bloody noisy.
    Is that a normal thing for the cheap ones? got to be a reason that they are cheap and from my one experience I am wondering if its because of the motor/bearings etc. is where the cheapness is hiding.

Cletus

I bought a cheap Panasonic a couple of years ago partially because it did Amazon Video and NetFlix.

It is glacial in response to user inputs and to load streaming apps. Pay a bit more and get something midrange.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I mentioned the ‘multi-region’ capability of some new blu-ray players as a major consideration, because in the real world you’re going to find a copy of your fave blu-ray on eBay, imported from America, months before its released in the U.K.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Got a nice Sony one from my pal in Richer Sounds.

Reduced too, it’s who you know…

davosaurusrex

I have a habit of researching things to death (like many on here) but I was in Sainsburys last year and they had an offer on that meant I could get a cheapo Samsung Blue Ray player and The Force Awakens for 50 quid. I will confess to 60 seconds of googling reviews, consensus was basic but fine so I bought it and it’s basic but fine. Not many ports but have sound through the stereo, it’s quiet and the picture is cracking.

I think not overthinking things is good sometimes.

Full disclosure – I had a spreadsheet on 29er frame geometry running before I bought one

Caher

I use my Sony Blu-ray mainly now for Netflix & Amazon. The quality is still surberb even though it’s some 5 years old now.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not found a TV that upscales well itself, but then not really looked at them in the last 3 years.

My old HD DVD player does decent upscaling so I tend to use that for DVDs even though it takes an age to start up. Otherwise I’ve got a Pinoneer Blu Ray player that I partly got because it did SACD and DVD-A (yes I have a few of those, not many though and probably won’t get any more, but at least I can play them). Found it did odd things on upscaling causing bit of aliasing and judder on title sequences etc, though is excellent on Blu Ray. Also does 3D, but meh on 3D. Has some Interweb streaming stuff but like smart TVs, the apps got discontinued.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a blueray player please’ is closed to new replies.