Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Recommend me a Bivvy Bag? (HoboCampingTrackWorld)
  • GrahamS

OP hasn’t specified a location. So midges may not be an issue.

Sorry, Northumberland so midges are a minor irritant rather than Scottish Black Death.

But if I find I like it then Scotland is certainly a possibility.

..you need a hooped bivvi with a mosquito net. But then you may as well just use an ultralight one-man tent.

That’s why I wondered about that GEERTOP one. Hooped with midge net but cheap and still basically a bivvy.

I’ve also seen a Highlander one that just has a midge net in the hood shaped with a bit of wire to keep it off the face. That might work.

scotroutes

The smaller the netted area, the more breath will condense in the bivvy bag and the wetter you’ll get.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

my entire ITT bivy kit weighs that (tarp, pole, pegs bivy bag, sleeping mat, sleeping bag)

I don’t believe you.

whitestone
    Free Member

I don’t believe you.

It’s true! All weights done after I’ve made any mods rather than manufacturers weight. All weights rounded up to the nearest 5g

Trekkertent cuben fibre tarp – 130g
    Bearbone carbon fibre pole and 6 carbon fibre pegs – 149g
    Borah Gear cuben fibre tarp – 125g
    Cumulus 150 quilt – 375g
    Klymit short x-frame – 175g

By my reckoning that’s 955g

I’ll get a decent night’s sleep with that setup. This weekend on the YD300 I’m thinking along the lines of a SOL bivy bag at 240g with PHD down vest at 85g and a mozzie net at 40g so 365g but that will just be for getting an hour or two’s kip rather than anything comfortable.

teethgrinder

I’m likely out in Chopwell next Friday night. Looking at the MW one with a tarp and a mozzie hat. You can borrow it after I’ve finished with if you want

GrahamS

Thanks teethgrinder, kind offer, but I’d rather not risk borrowing anyone else’s kit given the quantities of alcohol and mischief likely to be involved.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you not get a small mozzy net and hang it from your tarp?

Or you can you get head nets?

scotroutes

Head net and a MW bag will be fine.
    Spewing up in it might be amusing.

GrahamS

Thanks all. Basic MW one ordered. Figured it’s a good start and handy to have as a cheap backup, even if I upgrade later.

New midge net and bottle of Smidge also ordered 🙂

I’ll report back after next weekend.

GrahamS

UPDATE

I’m happy to report that the Mountain Warehouse bag seems like an okay bit of kit for the money and did the job well.

Not that it got a very thorough test because:

A) it was a lovely warm dry night, under a tarp, with a second tarp as a groundsheet.

B) I didn’t go to bed till 3:30am and I was up again at 7.

C) I was too pissed to really care by that point.

But the quality seemed good and it was only a bit moist in the morning (way less than plastic survival bag would have been).

One thing I have learnt is that I am too old/fat to sleep on old skool foam roll mats. Self-inflating mat will be required next time.

Thanks all.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Bivvy Bag? (HoboCampingTrackWorld)’ is closed to new replies.