Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • recommend me a bike hanger thing
  • fatbobb
    Free Member

I need to hang my bike on the garage wall to clear some space so does anyone have any tips on what hanger to buy? Looked at B&Q wall hooks, but the screw holes look tiny for 14kg of bike. Loads of stuff on ebay, but don’t know if it’s crap or not. Can’t hang from the ceiling or use wheel hooks – has to go onto the wall.
    Cheers.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Yes, I can recommend X-Tools wall hangers, the type where you suspend your bike on its end (parallel to the wall, tyres against the wall), hanging by either the front or back wheel. I bought a load of them and lined them up on the garage wall:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-wallmount-bike-storage-hanger/rp-prod10230

The hook section (that the wheel’s rim sits on) is just right to get road wheels into, but for larger tyres, e.g. 2.4″ you’ll need to cut the hook down a bit. This is fairly easy – you pull the rubber sleeve off, cut the hook down with a hacksaw (easy, as it’s made from aluminium alloy), file the end and push the rubber sleeve back on.

cookeaa

I just put up an extra joist 10″ out parallel to the wall, and put six ~4″ plastcoated storage hooks, you can get them pretty much anywhere for buttons…

Six bikes all hung up in a nice tight area, wheels against the wall, huge amount of space reclaimed, probably cost less than £20 in materials and took all of 30 minutes to put up…

Pz_Steve

Much the same as cookeaa above, only I didn’t have anything to hang a joist from where I wanted my bikes. So I stuck up some shelving brackets and uprights, ran a length of 2×4 along the top and screwed the plastic hooks into this.

It was probably slightly more expensive than cookeaa’s – those brackets are pretty pricey for something so simple and I used 4 as I wanted to be confident they’d hold 6 bikes on my flaky walls. Still, it was cheap, it’s flexible and it’s easily expandable (for the n plus 1).

6 bikes are now stored on 8ft of wall, each accessible without having to move any of the others. Just make sure you’ve got the headroom / wall height. Even with the shelving brackets as high up the wall as I could get them I had to raise my cross beam by 4 inches or so in order to be able to hang my 29er.

turboferret

fatbob – I bought several of those bike hanger hooks virtually identical to the X-tools ones linked to above which are surplus to requirements. Yours for the cost of postage if you’re interested, I have 4.

email in profile

Cheers, Rich

fatbobb
    Free Member

Hi All, sorry for not replying – especially to the kind offer from rich. Work busy…

I cleared out the garage and now know I need to hang the bike parallel to the wall, I can’t hang it from the wheel so looks like shelving brackets and hooks for me this weekend.

Thanks for the ideas. B&Q, here I come.

cbike
    Free Member

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YKV1v9ENncI/VL028wmUgEI/AAAAAAAABv0/q2tKfTL3aVg/s1600/photo-715198.JPG

cantilever Wall solution – only 8 screws, 4 in the timber 2 inch but good threads to spread load/catch the joist at the top and 4 in the hooks. Inch long.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a bike hanger thing’ is closed to new replies.