Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me a bike for commuting please
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

After a year of commuting on my winter road bike, I've decided that I don't like commuting on a road bike and want to move back to something more hybrid. I was thinking along the lines of the cannondale bad boy, or maybe the women's specialized Vita. I don’t think I'd be using it for much else than commuting, maybe very occassionally using it on cycle paths/canal when I can't mtb/road ride. Budget's not too much of an issue – but there doesn't seem any point in getting an expensive bike when its left outside.

What other bikes should I be considering? And has anyone experience of any of the Trek urban bikes (was considering one before I opted for a second road bike) I think I'd prefer disks if possible, and I don’t want something that’s really heavy like my previous 'hybrid'.

spanishbarry
    Free Member

I bought a Triban hybrid bike from Decathalon sport ,great bike and spec and quite cheap too

juan
    Free Member

Kona dew dew plus with disks they are an absolute bargain…

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Benji liked this one.

Me, I commute on a rigid singlespeed MTB with slicks. Built with bits from here and there it cost about £500 originally with deore level gears. It's quick and robust enough to cope with lumpy cycle paths. Building it myself I could put better wheels on than you'd get on any £500 bike off the shelf. I wouldn't bother with discs for commuting, deore vees are all the brake you'll need on the road.

miketually
    Free Member

How long is your commute?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Like the kona – i've often wondered about a jake the snake, but would never use it off road, and want to get away from drop bars.

my commute's not long at all – takes me 10-15mins each way on my road bike, a bit more on a heavy bike with draggy tyres. But i also use it to get into town/physio/gym etc and my road bike can't be used on some of the cycle paths that i like to use to get into town etc.

crazy-legs

Don't laugh but the Carrera Subway from Halfords is a great little commuter.
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=subway&x=0&y=0&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

Cheap, cheerful, reliable, understated enough not to be a thief magnet.

Kona Smoke is nice too – comes set up for commuting with mudguards etc but it'd make a decent tourer/cross bike too.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/smoke-29-deore-2009-hybrid-bike-ec017266

simon_g

Wiggle still have some 09 Kona Dew Drops in smaller sizes if that would suit – drops, discs, fatter and comfier tyres, and not much over £400.

fisha
    Free Member

I'm in a similar boat to you. I have a 14 mile commute , done on a road bike, but I want to use some of the alternative routes other than the main ( busy ) road, but the road bike wont stand upto it.

I'm looking at one of those hybrid style bikes. Personally, I really fancy going for a hub geared setup in terms of easy maintenance, but still to decide on that one.

Top of the list is something like a Cannondale Badboy, but I think I would be wanting front mudguards at least some of the time, based on that, I like the look of the Cube Hooper.

miketually
    Free Member

Short commute = something girly with a basket.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

fisha, i'll have a look at the cube. Mudguards are an essential for me, preferably the full length ones that i have on my road bike at the moment. Hmm, that's just reminded me i need to clean the gunk out of my mudguards so my tyre can turn properly 🙁

miket, had vaguley (and briefly) considered some sort of pashley, but decided against it.

hels
    Free Member

I think the Hub are selling off their ex hire fleet of the poor mans rohloff shimano thingies (sorry cba looking it up) have always thought they would make good commuters and you will get a bargain.

TPTcruiser

I have a Courier Nexus from Edinburgh Bike Co-op for my 15-20 minutes of commute. Poor man's Rohloff, pretty bomb proof frame & smooth tyres.
    Are you able to buy something using the cycle to work scheme?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Don't laugh but the Carrera Subway from Halfords is a great little commuter

I'm not laughing because I've just bought a Subway One and it's brilliant.
    £220 in the sale and 10% extra off for reserving online – £198. Sorted. Nice SRAM gears with proper shifters and decent parts. Even the saddle is fine.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If you go for discs make sure you can still get mudguards on!

That Merida Mostly Balanced linked to looks pretty much spot on, and there's the Trek Sohos- with belt or hub gear options I think.

Specialized Singlecrosses look like pretty good commuters to, if you could get back to drops!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a bike for commuting please’ is closed to new replies.