Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a bike bag.. or slag off another..
  • Chip_Board
    Free Member

Taking my precious on a plane.. Lots of choice out there.. Tempted by the rigid variety but put off by the expense…

?..

Ewan
    Free Member

I have an On-one pink one. I didn’t pay much for it, so I can’t really slag it off, but it needs more padding. Also make sure you get one with wheels in the bottom.

Ed2001
    Free Member

planet x one has served me well.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Planet X here- its good, but topped up with pipe lagging/bubblewrap etc

nasher
    Free Member

A lot of our guests have had the planet X ones and have had no bother.

a few have had a handful of the expensive hard cased ones, and a few of the boxes have been quite badly damaged…luckily the bikes were OK though.

Me personally I like cradboard bike boxes with lots of foam lagging, especially when weight is even more restricted on aircraft

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Having flown bikes as part of a group for years, most of the bags are the same product with a different logo (planet X, DHB etc etc). The DHB one i got from wiggle is the same as planet X etc but about 6 inches longer which is a FPITA getting it through airport doors. Missus Munqe chick’s planet X is the “right size”. And in puke yellow was only £45 from CRC.

Hired a hard case to fly a trek carbon Y bike (what a POS that was, but thats another story) and the baggage handlers threw it around something rotten. Wouldnt use one again, they are too big heavy and bulky and invite abuse.

KonaTC

Been to Spain twice with one of these faultless

Ed2001
    Free Member

I totally agree with munqe chick about hard cases I’ve always felt that the hard cases invite abuse from airport staff and it’s all in the careful packing and wrapping with bike bags.

andym
    Free Member

Decathlon do a nice one, if you live near a branch.

john_walker74
    Free Member

I’ve got a pinnacle bike bag (is a re-brnaded Neil Pryde), and have no complaints. If I flew with it I would use a bit of pipe lagging for extra protection.

rustydub
    Free Member

I bought a Planet X from CRC to take my Scott CR1 carbon road bike to Tenerife.
    No real complaints especially for the money, and the bag did get quite a bit damaged, there was even footprints on it! Just shows that baggage handlers really dont give a toss. I read up on the net about flying with a bike, and read some real horror stories, so spent about 2 hours stripping and wrapping the bike in bubble wrap and pipe lagging, looking at the state of the bag, certainly time well spent.
    Thankfully no damage either way.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a bike bag.. or slag off another..’ is closed to new replies.