Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a ' best trail in the lakes ' ( or near Swaledale )
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Im at BPW on 28th July and the thought was to work my way up through Wales, doing a few trails/ Trail-centers on the way but I’ve never been to the lakes and was thinking that it might be nice checking out a few places in the lakes or on the way up to Swaledale as I’ve entered the ‘ard rock enduro on the W/E of 1st/ 2nd August.

We ( son and I )will be camping..

tinribz
    Free Member

Camping at Keld and lots of good trails north of Gunnerside.

boxelder

Stavely/Garburn/Nan Bield handy for that journey.
    Or park near Askham south of Penrith, and ride towards Pooley Bridge over Moor Divock. Head for S end of Ullswater, BW along lake shore then back over Boredale Hause.

martinhutch

You’ll do a lot of the same stuff in the enduro, so I reckon your lakes plan is the winner.

A loop of natural bridleways from Grizedale is one good option.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

At Easter we stayed at the Grizedale Campsite which was good, if a little noisy and we were able to do 3 great rides all from the campsite. All the routes were in the Vertebrate Publishing guide book. One of the best weekends riding I’ve ever done and enjoyed the riding there much more than Nan Bield.

tymbian
    Free Member

Aftre seeing Nan Bield in one of the mags i had put it on a bit of a shortlist….but, being quite technical, wondering wether it will be a letdown as I like to keep a bit of a flow going. Nan Bield for another day perhaps…

Stevenmenmuir….sounds good, any more info?

mrhoppy

Did the natural bridleways round Grizedale and Claife Heights recently and was impressed, some amazing riding out there.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Did nan bield a few weeks back, enjoyed it, but in no way is it in the top lakes routes. Not a patch on many descents such as unlock pike, parkamoor, stonethwaite from watendlath, I could go on.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

The book is by Richard Staton and Chris Gore. The campsite is just below Satterthwaite. If you’re on Strava you could look me up on there and see the routes. Don’t have my laptop on just now to be anymore helpful.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Parkamoor to Nibthwaite is a fantastic section, great views and a long, fast, technical descent.

mrhoppy

Parkamoor heading east over breasty haw and down the devils gallop is really good riding. The descent from Far Sawley to Windermere lakeside is nice if a little busy.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’d say plus 1 for a parking at Askham and heading to Ullswater and Boredale Hause – plenty of good riding to be had. Some of it isn’t very flowy.

Mugboo

Check out the routes on The Edge Cycleworks for routes round Grizedale/Parkamoor.

wonderchump
    Free Member

Whinlatter is a good laugh… It’s near Keswick just off the A66.

Also for more natural trails you could head for Mungrisdale (about 15 miles from Penrith off the A66) and follow the trail up from Swineside to Skiddaw House then over the top and down into Keswick. This is a great ride.

BoomBip
    Free Member

Parkamoor heading east over breasty haw and down the devils gallop is really good riding.

I did this recently and thought it was great too. Followed a route from the Bogtrotters site which ended with this section – definitely recommended.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Which route back over from boredale hause tomaso?

boxelder

Across Beda Fell to Dale Head, then spin on road to Pooley, or reverse BW up past the cockpit. Lovely pubs in Askham

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheers buddy. Looking for a wee ride to break up the drive south next week, this my just be the job.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a ' best trail in the lakes ' ( or near Swaledale )’ is closed to new replies.