Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Recommend me a bag..
  • molgrips
    Free Member

We are looking for a shoulder mounted messenger type bag or satchel for use as a nappy bag, with one main requirement – it MUST have a divided main compartment. Not a bunch of pockets around one central cavity, but three more or less equal sections in the main compartment. This is to stop many small items collecting in a big mess and having to be rummaged through.

Camera bags seem to have this sorted – movable dividers so you can configure them any way you want – but they are not usually very well shaped for non camera use, and are a bit to rigid.

Please don’t post ‘well we’ve got X and it’s great’ unless the bag fits the above requirement – a main compartment divided into three separate equal sections. Thanks 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Buy three bags and staple them together.

RealMan
    Free Member

A normal bag and make some

movable dividers

?

molgrips
    Free Member

Funnily enough, we did think of that. However this is a question about bags you can buy, not ideas of how to solve the problem 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

If only we’d put such thought and effort into choosing a nappy bag, our lives would have been so much richer

It’s only when you look back on things that you sometimes realise where you slipped up and missed such opportunities 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a simple question…

headfirst
    Free Member

Carry less shite in your nappy bag

molgrips
    Free Member

FFS

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Crumpler do some messenger style camera bags.. Master Dehli is a good one…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

But does it have 3 equal compartments..

molgrips
    Free Member

Not bad, but too small.

EDIT maybe not.. hmm…

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Molgrips, I sympathise it’s tricky as most proper messenger style bags are sold with the thought of laptops not babies. And of course, the mothercare brand type are just too much the other way around. I use a duffbag messenger bag and it wont work but i do know the guy behind the brand is very nice and might even consider making you one or at least be open to the discussion.. He helped me out with a specific big bag and should at least reply back with a yes or no. Good luck with the search.

molgrips
    Free Member

I use a duffbag messenger bag and it wont work but i do know the guy behind the brand is very nice and might even consider making you one or at least be open to the discussion

This is an interesting idea 🙂

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Sorry I should have added that his name is Andy and just use the email on the website.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Really, how much stuff do you need in a nappy bag? Either empty it regularly or stop feeding the nappy filler?

molgrips
    Free Member

We’ll have a 2.5 year old and a baby, so:

Two sizes of nappies, one of the reusable variety
    Wipes
    Changing mat
    Two spare outfits for baby
    Spare outfit for toddler
    Toys and games to amuse toddler
    Drinks and snacks for toddler
    Water for grownups
    General women’s things
    Sundries depending on weather like hat, sunglasses, spare sweater etc

This isnt’ about the amount of stuff in there, it’s about organising it. If you toss it all in one big compartment then it becomes hard to find it all when you need it. Bag does not need to be especially large.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Bike Trailer?

Cougar

Molgrips, yesterday.

In seriousness, it sounds like what you need there is two bags. I’m not sure as I’d want my drinking water anywhere near the toxic waste expelled by Minigrips.

molgrips
    Free Member

Two bags? Hardly convenient…

Cougar

Presumably (as you said “we” are looking”) you’ve got four shoulders between you?

I dunno, just thinking out loud really. I’m not a parent, but I’m aware of their work.

I think I’d want to keep my in-tray and out-tray separate, if you see what I mean. Even out on your own, you could still use maybe a daysack sort of affair for your main stuff and a separate hermetically sealed satchel for the biohazard material.

/shrug

mogrim

Most camelbaks have various sections, neatly divided…

No idea if there’s one with exactly equal sizing, though.

Travis

how about le sportsac mama bag?

RealMan
    Free Member

A nanny?

molgrips
    Free Member

Presumably (as you said “we” are looking”) you’ve got four shoulders between you?

When we’re together yes. However when I’m at work the responsibility lies solely on Mrs Grips’ shoulders unfortunately.

The Nanny as pack mule idea is also good 🙂

Re pooey nappies – we’ll use a wet-bag designed for the purpose.

uplink
    Free Member

You’ll be down to just needing them for one of them any time soon though
    the 2 1/2 isn’t going to be in them much longer

traildog
    Free Member

Don’t bagaboo do custom bags?

molgrips
    Free Member

the 2 1/2 isn’t going to be in them much longer

Here’s hoping.. but I imagine there’s a period of overlap when you don’t need nappies but need more changes of clothes!

Cougar

Re pooey nappies – we’ll use a wet-bag designed for the purpose.

Ah, see, this is why you’re a parent and I’m not. My knowledge of bagged poo is restricted to what I see hanging from the tree branches on the local towpaths.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah, see, this is why you’re a parent and I’m not

Yeah they were hot on poo questions at the interview stage.. 😉

PS – Bagaboo – fantastic link, will look into it cheers.

geoffj

Crumpler OCD?

alpin
    Free Member

bagapoo bags…..

molgrips
    Free Member

Alpin are you back in Munich yet?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Cath Kidston do one, it’s expensive, but kinda saucy if you like that sort of thing (especially in the ‘cowboy’ print). Also, Tesco on line are doing a crumpler messenger bag for twentyfive quid – just got one, but not sure it’d be big enough for all the child detritus you’ll be dragging around.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ooh, the Kipling one looks good.

Cath Kidston – argh! You could’ve warned me! My eeeyeees!!!

(no interior pics of that bag tho……)

Cougar

NINETY EIGHT QUID?!

Jaysus.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cougar, that’s nothing compared to some of the baby sht they try and sell you…

alpin
    Free Member

yup… got back on friday.

lettuce know when you’re free. GF is away this week till friday so i can stay out late, come home drunk and ride my bike without having a bad conscience.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cool. Mrs Grips said to me the other day ‘You really should go out on a proper bike ride, it’d be a shame for you to come all this way and not ride your MTB’

I love Mrs Grips 🙂

Car is battered but serviceable, seems much quicker than getting the train out there. This weekend maybe but we also have to go to Zurich at some point.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have an Osprey FlapJack:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/osprey/flap-jack-courier-bag-ec022594

It has a laptop section, which is actually useful for folded clothing, keeping it together and upright.

Then there is the main section, which is big and open and small things will get lost in it.

But there is a section in front of that, which is not as big as the main section but has two netted sections suitable for carrying the small stuff.

Then there is another zipped pocket at the front of the bag, with a hooked clasp for keeping your keys safe.

And finally another, slightly bigger, zipped pocket on the left side, which will be to the front and accessible when you have the bag over yours shoulder as normal.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a bag..’ is closed to new replies.