Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me a air flowing cooling helmet please
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

currently on a poc trabec race MIPS, but its bloody hot in the sun, vents don’t really do much at all, and seems like the heat just doesn’t escape

is there anything that’s better out there but similar ‘enduro’ style out there but will actually allow some airflow through?

have seen the smith forefront, sweet protection bushwacker which look nice but no idea on air flow?

buckster
    Free Member

My Mavic lid flows air nicely

rhayter

The IXS Trail RS is well vented as is the Catlike Leaf. I’m currently using a Giro Montaro MIPS – it’s fairly cool but the MIPS liner (and some of the pads) block the vents a bit. Haven’t ridden in scorching heat yet but I can testify that it’ll protect your head if your woeful manual-ing skills result in you going backwards off your bike…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

get brainfreeze with my specialized s-works prevail on all but the warmest days.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive got an sworks one, but its a bit too roadie for me these days 😆

I NEED TO LOOK RAD

that giro montaro looks quite nice

carlos
    Free Member

Sweet Protection Bushwhackers are pretty hot. Not too bad on the move but on slow or long climbs where you have to work, they really make you sweat. Pity as the fit is spot on, decent coverage and looks good, that’s important right?? 😉

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Just gone from a 661 Recon to one of the Specialized ones (S3 I think), and it’s way more vented. Was good in the heat on Saturday.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Ah balls, thats that one out then, ive just actually noticed that poc have a new one out called tectal, which is basically an improved version of the trabec with more vents, so given this one fits well, ill take a look at one of those 🙂

and looking good is the most important! 🙂 😆

ps enjoy conwy at weekend? it was belting! small world though going at the same time and same day

raisinhat
    Free Member

I’ve got a poc octal, which has awesome venting, really exellent. It looks like the tectal should be similar, so it should be reasonably good. The only thing that would put me off is that the name sounds like rectal 😆

carlos
    Free Member

LOL. small world indeed.

Yeah Conwy was ace, just absolutely roasting, not as good as The Lakes, but defo in the fav top 10. Lots of other bits to add here and there too if you want.

Took Si (first time there)and Neil (been before) so pretty steady round. Long slog up The Drum in the heat, but worth the 6km descent.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

LOL. small world indeed.

Yeah Conwy was ace, just absolutely roasting, not as good as The Lakes, but defo in the fav top 10. Lots of other bits to add here and there too if you want.

Took Si (first time there)and Neil (been before) so pretty steady round. Long slog up The Drum in the heat, but worth the 6km descent.

it was indeed baking, the road climb upto YHA was insanely hot, I stopped at the top and dipped my head in a stream 😆

didn’t do the drumm, time and heat were starting to get to me, so just ventured over the rest we’ve done before, it is an absolute ace loop, especially with weather like that

thought it was probably neil and didn’t recognise the other chap, but good see ya!

no gary?

carlos
    Free Member

Too true, Si was dipping his head in anything he could find. Had to knock on a farm for a water top up as didn’t fancy it out of a stream.

Garry is living the dream in Florida.

Good to see you too, I’m sure to see you out and about again 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

haha I can understand the need to re-fill (luckily my 3ltrs just lasted but wouldn’t with drum climb) must have been desperate to wake up some welsh farmers though 🙂

living the dream? what literally living in florida? or just holiday I guess? either way ace!

yep sure we will bump into each other at some point, always up for a ride sometime too!

muddy9mtb

http://www.tweekscycles.com/clearance/clearance-helmets/bell-super-2-mtb-helmet-with-mips
    Bell super 2 working well for me, and utterly bonkers price at tweaks at the minute

papercutout
    Free Member

I ride in 40+ degree’s in Turkey in a Bell Super 2. They’re pretty well vented! Although, nothing like a ‘Catlike’ which appears to be more vent than helmet.

Andy-R

I’m using an IXS Trail RS in Greece, in temperatures currently in the low thirties, and can confirm that it’s a lot cooler than the Giro Xen I used to use.
    I wear a buff underneath when it gets really warm.

carlos
    Free Member

what literally living in florida? or just holiday I guess? either way ace!

Haha, no not living there, just living the dream for 2 weeks

The Welsh lady we knocked up (not literally!) for water was very nice, it was at the noisy dog farm..

Anyway, I’ll stop choking up your post. Take it easy mate and prob see you around the Forest, or who knows where…

spicer
    Free Member

After trying some out recently, I went with a Bontrager Rally. Available in MIPS too, but the best thing is how deep the channels are under the vents. There arent a huge number of vents (but on par with other ‘enduro’ helmets), so when moving slowly it feels a bit hot, but once moving the deep channels do their job. Works well with goggles too, if thats your thing!

hambl90
    Free Member

I’m using a catlike leaf at the moment (cheap on pedal pedal site) and it’s pretty good, I’ve also used an ixs trail rs which was probably a bit better.

sirromj

I’ve got a Catlike Leaf… Strangely it seems hotter when my hair is longer. And I do like the colour scheme, nearly black with enduro-yellow branchy bits, would be tempted by some of the more enduro helmets such as the IXS Trail RS, but having to choose one boring unbroken colour goes against everything I stand for.

I started this thread the other week, carrying on with the Leaf for now.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

what literally living in florida? or just holiday I guess? either way ace!
    Haha, no not living there, just living the dream for 2 weeks
    The Welsh lady we knocked up (not literally!) for water was very nice, it was at the noisy dog farm..
    Anyway, I’ll stop choking up your post. Take it easy mate and prob see you around the Forest, or who knows where…

Ah right was gonna say that’s some move, understand moving county but didn’t expect country lol

Nice to know in future can always stop and get some extra water if needed

Yep you too bud, no doubt will bump into each other at some point!

Cheers folks for the posts decided I’ll get one of the new tectal rectal poc ones as it looks just what one after

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a air flowing cooling helmet please’ is closed to new replies.