Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommend me a down jacket that is compact
  • withersea
    Free Member

And doesn’t cost a fortune!

Cheers

tonyg2003

Alp kit ones are good value and are good for me.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

plenty on ebay, Rab microlight would be a good starting point, it’s not a standing around in winter jacket, but ticks boxes for very compact and sticking on to warm up for lunch stops, post ride, shopping etc. depends how compact you need v’s warmth.

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

Decathlon jackets are great for the money (£40)

andysredmini
    Free Member

I got a rab neutrino jacket from rock & run for £100. It’s very warm and packs tiny. I also have a rab summit which is slightly warmer but massively bulky. The only problem with the neutrino is that the outer material is so thin I keep thinking I’m going to rip it. I haven’t yet as its a lot tougher than it looks but I wouldn’t like to go climbing on grit stone in it like I have with my summit.
    Kerp an eye on rock and run for their weekly sales.

siwhite
    Free Member

Second vote for Alpkit – I have their down gillet and it’s ace.

dms01

Best and lightest are http://www.phdesigns.co.uk custom made, if needed, you can even specific shell ….. But not cheap. Just value for money? And uk made.

withersea
    Free Member

Cheers all

Dibbs
    Free Member

I bought a North Face Thermoball a few weeks ago, very pleased so far.

Cowman

Would second PHD.

peterfile
    Free Member

The Alpkit isn’t compact!

CountZero

The Uniqlo Ultralight down jackets are good value, very light, warm enough for cool evenings and fairly cold days, with a fleece or wool sweater underneath, and packs into an easily pocketable bag.
    For better levels of insulation on cold days in the hills or whatever, one of these looks just the ticket:
    http://www.jottnar.com/uk/mens/down-insulation/fenrir/
    Not cheap, at £200, but a hell of a lot cheaper than an Arc’teryx equivalent.
    I’ve got a Uniqlo jacket and gilet, both of which get used a lot, but I’ll be ordering a Fenrir jacket shortly. Their yak wool base layer looks very good as well, I’ll probably put in a preorder for one of those as well.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I know you said down….but a a Rab Generator packs up nice and small and is warm even when wetted out!

andybanks
    Free Member

Rab Microlight Alpine

vondally
    Free Member

I own a PhD and decathlon jackets……the decathlon thin one is great value for money if they fit as the sizxing seems to have gone to pot…my PhD will be 3 yrs old this winter and not convinced it is the warmest (minimus) it does pack small.
    Alpkit great value but does not pack smasll

BadlyWiredDog

The Alpkit isn’t compact!

They do more than one model these days.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mrs has a montane featherlite. Its ultra compact , its warmer than nothing but its not a patch on my 750+ down jacket – which for half a 4 season sleeping bag is still very compact…

Need to decide what you expect from the jacket , havnt given us much to go on.my 750 is winter camping ( specifically strathpuffer) and standing around in transition. The featherlites more a being active – walking etc on crisp frozen days.

ac505
    Free Member

I bought one of the alpkit filoment jackets last year, had to return it due to the bizarre cut. If you have a beer gut and a puny upper body it will be just the ticket. If you are have a vaguely athletic shape then probably best to look elsewhere. That said, the new filoment jackets are reported to have a different cut. Btw I bought a Rab gilet, happy with that.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

What’s the difference between the rab microlight and the microlight alpine?just the hood?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

yes essentially, might be one or two other little cosmetics, but that’s the fundamental diff.

Personally I’d get one with a hood.

Superficial
    Free Member

In true STW fashion:

Montane Prism. Not down (it uses Primaloft insulation) but IMO more versatile and definitely packs down smaller than the equivalent warmth down jacket. Better in rain, easier to wash etc. Probably better than down if you’re keeping active – mine has gone everywhere with me. Walking, snowboarding (as a mid layer in freezing conditions), riding.

That said, it’s nice to have a down jacket as well, they’re a bit snugglier. They get warmer quicker when you’re inactive.

scandal42
    Free Member

Decathalon

If price is a big consideration then this will be great.

I have one that cost £30 last year and it’s ace, packs down into a pouch.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/x-light-mens-down-jacket-black-id_8318546.html

nedrapier

Mountain Equipment Fitzroy. Used to be synthetic insulation, now primaloft gold – 10% synth, 90% hydrophobic down.

I tried on a bunch of lighter down/synth jackets like this and kept the ME fitzroy. Nicest jacket and also the one that fitted me the best – it was nice not to have to choose!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a down jacket that is compact’ is closed to new replies.