Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommend me a 9sp chain
  • Earl
    Free Member

Managed to twist my 'deore' chain. Is there anything under £20 that is worth looking at for xc duties?

forgotmename
    Free Member

sram would be my choice.

dobo
    Free Member

kmc chains i like, thinks its a 9xl or sumit, they do lots of different ones

mboy
    Free Member

SRAM PC971 should fit the bill

nockmeister
    Free Member

Shimano HG93 or CN-7701 for £20.95

rotary
    Free Member

sram pc 991 or 971

rotary
    Free Member

sram pc951 for 15 quid

Northwind

KMC X9 93 (they make the Shimano chains too but don't let that put you off, the design of their own ones is totally different) You can just about get an X9L for £20 but prices have gone up on those, loads of people seem to have stopped stocking them.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

SRAM PC971 .. no brainer, no fuss

Burls72
    Free Member

+1 for the KMC X9. Wouldn't go for the X9L unless your light, not convinced on light chains durability for heavier riders. Suprised at the amount of recommendations for SRAM chains, imo they suck. Mind you I haven't used one for years, have they improved?

Northwind

Merlin sent me an X9SL last time as they had stock issues with the X9L (which I liked a lot). But the SL just seems to be that bit too skinny, if it chainsucks it twists…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I just paid slightly over £20 for a SRAM PC991 from Merlin but using their ebay shop. Very good so far. Also got the 990 cassette – with just a wee bit of red anodized spider "bling" on show… 😉

Milkie
    Free Member

This chain will be in the same condition when you take it back off, no matter how much abuse you give it.

Don't need to oil it, can leave it out in all conditions. This one has a lovely brown coating, so its more expensive.

Makes a lovely noise, so you know its working too.

stumpy01

I started using KMC chains after having one fitted by the nice chap at the 24/12 after mine got a kink in one of the links at 1:30am.

They seem to work well, are reasonably priced & the powerlink is easy to use.

_tom_
    Free Member

My KMC is holding up nicely so far. Better than the quite frankly shite shimano I had before!

Skoolshoes
    Free Member
    EccentricEllis

Cheapest SRAM chain you can buy. Remember, the more you replace it the longer everything will last.
    That goes for the cleaner you keep it too.

Keep it real.
    Ellis.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I never undertood the vitriol aimed at shimano on here in the past – all I use – last 9 years and zero fails…

Have seen a few nasty sram failures whilst in a shop and also my mate snapped his ( side plates parted )and ended up with a bust collar bone

i used to use old style 8 spd sachs no problem….

apul

Earl
    Free Member

Found a KMC X9 93 at Parkers for £11.50 so chucked a couple in the basket.
    Thanks all

ltheisinger
    Free Member

CORRECT! = SRAM

FAIL! = Shimano

steve_b77
    Free Member

KMC all the way

trail_rat
    Free Member

any chain you wish and a manual in how to fit it/detect drive train wear and change gears it would seem ..

but ive seen more link snapages on sram 3 (by that i mean total plate material failure not rivet failure) than shimanos 0

fisher said it was a bad batch ! hasnt detered me

househusband

EccentricEllis and trail_rat make valid points.

But may I be the very first on this thread to suggest Wippermann chains… 8)

zaskar
    Free Member

971 on my winter roadbike and xc.

Depends on how many miles you do and budget.

I don't want £100 chain every 3 months…etc

Sram 971 is a good chain and chage every 3-4 months of high miles.

Also a chain checker will save you loads in chain money. Only £6 in shops.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Skool – nice find!

Having got onto my third entire drivetrain in three years I'm being a bit extra geeky about keeping my chain clean and measuring for any stretch. TBH the 991 does feel smoother than my 971 before it.

Our other bikes all have mid level Shimano chains – TBH they seem okay too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Also worth noting that untill you start getting into the drilled pin and milled plate chains the difference between them is coating – ie 951 and 971 – more nickle plating ie less rust !

Onzadog
    Free Member

Skoolshoes, cheers mate. That's my choice of chain anyway! Ordered three, with the £5 voucher thing, that's £15.83 each!!!!!!!

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

No worries! Might have to get myself a couple before they sell out.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 9sp chain’ is closed to new replies.