Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend me a 32t chainring for a 1 x 9 set up
  • pstokes99
    Free Member

thinking of giving a 1 x 9 a try – will run a SLX crank with a bash and a jump stop.

any recomendations for a suitable (unramped) chainring?

shinsplints

Don't do it you will die.

thevanman
    Free Member
    hopster
    Free Member

how about a Gamut? I have one on my ss. Selling mine with 50ish miles use if you are interested as I am getting a 33t one so I can dispense with the tensioner.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Hoping my E13 G ring wears out soon so I can buy one of THESE

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

BETD have their Goldtec ones for 15 quid at the mo.

tails
    Free Member

salsa

Talkemada
    Free Member

Shimano Deore.

dans160
    Free Member

E 13 for me at the moment.

Del

surly.
    mines done about 4 years now, used at least once/week, if not three times. i did flip it over this winter though. 🙂

BigJohn

Surly for sure. Steel and tall teeth so the chain won't fall off. Unfortunately no lateral strengthening so it can fold over if you run it 2×9 and get a nasty shift.

rootes1

I got a Blackspire Mono Veloce Single Speed 7075 Series

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28730

though 32t out of stock at mo at CRC

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I used to think surly was good until this happened the other week:

What an overpriced piece of junk. Deore costs 75% less and doesn't fold over if a chainring bolt falls out.

rootes1

perhaps you should check you chainring bolts more frequently – they are there for a reason 😉

leggyblonde
    Free Member

thanks rootes1 🙄

I check most rides but I find SS bolts are particularly crap. The Surly ring is still poostain

rootes1

hey leggyblonde, try a blob of retaining fluid under the tops of the chainring bolts (not threadlock on threads). I had a surly ring thought it was fine, but then have not lost a bolt.

ta Si

Del

I find SS bolts are particularly crap

hmm. loctite? or steel bolts? or both?
    any chainring will fold if it's not fixed properly.

Garry_Lager

Did your frame survive that leggyblond? I drove the granny into the chainstay one time and wrote it off 🙁

psychle
    Free Member

Hoping my E13 G ring wears out soon so I can buy one of THESE

£40 for a single chainring? bloody hell…

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Sorry Dell, that's rubbish. I lent a bloke at SSEC a bolt (which is why I only had 3!) as two of his had fallen out. His was creaking but hadn't folded. I've seen loads of people ride with a bolt missing without any problems but it appears surly rings are known for folding.

rootes1, why retaining fluid and not loctite?

and yeah the frame survived thanks, finest taiwanese wrought iron 😉

rootes1

rootes1, why retaining fluid and not loctite?

Retaining fluid is a type 'loctite' other providers of industrial adhesives are available..)

loctite make lots of different types of eng adhesives some are threadlockers, some are retainers etc.

Some time and for things you might to take apart using a threadlock is overkill and all you need is to put a decent retaining fluid under the head of a bolt/on the shank – this is enough to stop the bolt coming undone in use, but makes it easier to take off. I use Loctite 638 and 648 on engine conrod bolts for example – holds them firm, but you have still take apart when needed also not put threadlock on means you get truer torque readings

For bikes Loctite Stud and bearing fit (#270) and Retainer 603 are ideal for seating beaings in housings, round the edge of chainring bolts etc

Try these, they charge a bit on carriage, but it was the only place I found that had some in stock and it's round with teeth on!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 32t chainring for a 1 x 9 set up’ is closed to new replies.