Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Recommend me a 29er XC/Race/Trail bike.
  • MSP

Having test ridden a lurcher, santa cruz highball aluminum and grand canyon aluminum this year, the highball was the best frame by a country mile.

Yak

No love for that Inbred ?

I love inbreds- 26er and 29ers. But as built up as per your link it will be heavy. I know weight is only one of many factors, but for me, it is likely over the tipping point for all day and xc. As a rigid singlespeed it would be lovely, light and would whip up gorrick hills just fine, but as built…. hmmm dunno.

I know its more faff, but if you’ve got a healthy spare parts bin, how about sourcing a nice frame and build from there. eg 2nd hand FF29s have been going for around £200, 2nd hand scandals are £120ish, new clockworks are £250 etc…. Then spend a bit on nice wheels and then parts-bin/sales/classifieds for the rest to get it under a grand.

Yak

highball was the best frame by a country mile

surely there is no way a build on a highball will get in under a grand?

ade9933
    Free Member

Was looking in this space recently. Trek superfly 7 from rutland or evans is about 1 K for last years model if they still have one. Looks like a good option.

Parkwood not really a race bike is it? I did find the geo more natural that the 69/70 degree angle bikes like the lurcher etc. Lurcher is super light though. I had a little play on these 2 in the last week or so.

FF29’s not a bad option. I did the SDW on that earlier this year, still quite steep HA but I’d spec the build myself the standard one was poor in many places. The video makes it look awesome but don’t they all 🙂

Good luck.

weeksy

I know its more faff, but if you’ve got a healthy spare parts bin, how about sourcing a nice frame and build from there. eg 2nd hand FF29s have been going for around £200, 2nd hand scandals are £120ish, new clockworks are £250 etc…. Then spend a bit on nice wheels and then parts-bin/sales/classifieds for the rest to get it under a grand.

PArts bin isn’t too bad, I’ve got cranks, rings, spare wheels, seatposts, seat, brakes, grips.

pete68
    Free Member

How about a new solaris frame then if you’ve got spares esp.the wheels. There’s 2 pairs of Reba 120 in the classifieds at the moment. Prices are 110 and 165. Keep scanning the classifieds for any bits you’re missing. I bought my frame new but everything else is either second hand or in a sale somewhere.

timb34
    Free Member

2013 Sunn catalogue is here : http://issuu.com/cawdel/docs/catalogue_sunn2013_1__copy (I think the geometry is on page 14)

Sunn did go into liquidation, but seem to be back around judging by the rather bonkers concept DH bike they were showing at the Roc d’Azur salon: http://www.mtb-check.com/fr/le-retour-de-sunn-avec-un-concept-dh/

I wouldn’t rule out the mainstream brands. Specialized, Trek and Scott all do racy HTs with reasonable frames, although fork and wheels might be on the lardy side.

Edit: Hang on, if you’ve a decent prts bin then why not consider a Chinese carbon frame and a fork in the sales?

Double edit: Why not buy this fork and take a risk on the frame that comes free with it? http://www.actionsports.de/en/components/frames/mtb/11289/droessiger-29er-alu-hardtail-frame-kit-h-29lite-with-rock-shox-reba-rl?c=407

mboy
    Free Member

Got to say that from what you describe, and given you’ve got some spares already and aren’t averse to building yourself, the FF29 is the most obvious candidate. I’ve got a Kinesis Sync, which is by far and away the best HT I’ve ridden. To say that I love it is a huge understatement. I have ridden FF29’s though, and honestly it’s 95% as good as the Sync for 1/3rd of the price!

The FF29 is by some peoples standards a little short and upright, but in many ways it’s all the better for it. You’ve got to remember that it’s still a good degree or so slacker than an Inbred or a Scandal, so everything is relative, but a long/slack trail basher it is not. Built up with a modern 120mm travel fork (with 51mm offset if at all possible), flat bars and stiff wheels, it will get you into a whole lot of trouble very quickly! It’s where the “FF” moniker comes from so they say. Faster point to point bikes exist, but you’ve got to drop lots of cash on a carbon XC race bike to get that kind of performance. For the average Joe that wants to do a few races semi competitively, and use the bike for thrashing round the woods at speed the rest of the time, it’s hard to recommend anything above the FF29 IMO. Other than of course the Sync!

Clink

You’ve got to remember that it’s still a good degree or so slacker than an Inbred or a Scandal, so everything is relative, but a long/slack trail basher it is not.

According to the geo charts I’ve seen they are the same ha at 70 degrees with recommended fork (FF29 120mm, scandal 100mm). Having ridden both I’d go for the Sandal – FF29 is not worth the extra other than on looks.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Lots of good deals on Genesis Altitudes second hand. Similar to a Cotic Soul, but cheaper.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve got a medium highball al frame for sale – white – contact me for details

teenrat

Weeksy – did you go for the sunn in the end?? how do you find the sizing?

weeksy

Hi mate, I’m still debating. The buyer of my Aprilia bailed out so I’ve been left without quite enough in the ‘spare’ fund to get the Sunn at the moment.

I’ve sold my roadbike and have a spare £300 now and was debating getting one of these actually.

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p66305/GT-Timberline-10-29er-2014-Mountain-Bike.aspx?gclid=CM6trZXStsECFW3JtAodlF0Atw

I’ve got a spare pair of Shimano brakes I could fit, along with a 1×10 crank and cassette, so I’d only need a 10 speed shifter to jump straight to 1×10 on it saving some weight (cranks/rings are SLX)

So I’m sitting and thinking “For £300 I get the GT, with 1×10 etc, once I stick the Hope wheels on there, is it really going to be any worse/slower than the Sunn?”

The answer is… Hmmm I dunno.

I’ve got 3 weeks before I plan on using it in anger at a Gorrick, so will give it another week as a potential buyer has come up for the Aprilia, which would then mean I’d jump on the Sunn, but if they don’t and the Aprilia stays till spring, then I think i’ll get the GT Timberline.

Clink

I’d give that GT a miss personally…

mboy
    Free Member

According to the geo charts I’ve seen they are the same ha at 70 degrees with recommended fork (FF29 120mm, scandal 100mm). Having ridden both I’d go for the Sandal – FF29 is not worth the extra other than on looks.

From someone that has owned both, they ride very differently. The On One was nervous and twitchy in my opinion, yet at the same time managed to feel long and cumbersome. The Kinesis the exact opposite!

I’d give that GT a miss personally…

I’d agree with that though. Seems like the OP is thinking “I have £300 burning a hole in my pocket, what can I spend it on?”… I’d hold off entirely until you know you have the money to buy what you want, rather than spending the money on something unsuitable and trying to make it suitable with more money.

weeksy

Tis a fair point…

I’ve been offered a Lurcher in a large (black and yellow) with the below spec

The spec on the lurcher is not standard it was built from mostly new individual components around 2 months ago after the sale of my gambler. (Now sad i sold it and looking for another burly bike)
    Large carbon lurcher frame
    Reba sl 29 froks
    El gallo stem and extra wide bars
    Gusset cartridge headset
    Charge saucer wheelset
    Token bottom bracket
    Elixir 5 brakes
    Xt cassette 10spd
    Xt clutch mech
    Xt chain
    Slx triple chainset
    Slx shifters
    Mountain king tyres
    All around 2 months old appart from the brakes which are a couple of years old with a full oil change and new pads.

Whilst the spec isn’t amazing, I rekon it’s £800 worth of bike in that spec ? If I keep my Dropper post, which would go straight on the Lurcher, then throw on my Pro2evo’s and stick it to 1×10 then I’d have a decent XC bike ? (I’ve asked him for a cash injection to make up the difference)

(p.s that’s in a swap deal for my Commencal Meta AM2 29)

weeksy

Hmmmmm

Had an offer last night at £1100 for the Commencal. It’s very tempting I must admit.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s…/rp-prod121787

I could then get the Sunn for XC riding and something like a S/H Giant Reign.

Tricky thoughts and decisions. The Meta is the best bike I’ve ridden downhill (possibly apart from the Bionicon) but still, it’s not the lightest XC bike.

Kryton57

And I though I was bad 😉

jonny-m
    Free Member

This was just over a grand from Paul’s cycles a couple of months ago, can’t fault it for that money
    Rides well.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Charge cooker 5 ti

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 29er XC/Race/Trail bike.’ is closed to new replies.