Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Recommend me a 29" HT frame with slack geometry
  • nacho
    Free Member

I have realised I like slack bikes. I have a load of parts I want to add a frame to but the ones I seem to like (Cotic Solaris / Kinesis FF) seem to ahve a HA of 70 deg+.
    Can anyone recommend a slacker frame to me? Would like it to run 120mm forks although for now I will have to make do with 100mm.
    The Whytes look quite slack (68.5) but are not available as frame only.

cheers

nacho

weeksy

Yelli Screamy maybe ?

NormalMan

Kona Honzo?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Titus Fireline? Big thread on here about them somewhere.

st

Trek Stache.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Singular Buzzard?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yelli…..

Clobber
    Free Member

Slack 29er with 100mm is missing the point somewhat, I love my buzzard but wouldn’t run without 140mm forks get one without similarly short chainstays.

nacho
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions all, some research to do now!
    Clobber, 100mm is all I have at the mo, will be upgrading to 120mm in the future (when I have enough $$)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Have you tried a ‘steep’ 29’er?

Reason I ask is severalfold;
    a) they always have steeper angles as the rake/trail/offset are different to their 26er cousins.
    b) by vitue of having 3″ longer forks they have longer wheelbases
    c) as above for the chainstays

Basicly a 29er wit a 70deg HA feels steep in the car park, but once upto speed is really stable.

nacho
    Free Member

TINAS – tried a Whyte (68.5) and it felt great, “sat” on a steeper one in the shop and didn’t like the “feel” as much so based my decisions on this.

tomaso
    Free Member

All the obvious choices have been stated above. If is a new frame you are after you are somewhat limited and none are that cheap, except maybe the Singular.

Not sure you will find many Stache or Whyte frames as they are relatively new. As a rule just after I give up searching for something secondhand on forums/fleabay etc and chose something else a rash of them appear going cheap… :mrgreen:

tomaso
    Free Member

Oh and I’d get a test ride before making a choice…not that I have with my recent Trek Stache purchase… :mrgreen:

rewski
    Free Member

You need a Ti Kinesis Maxlight Sync. Set up for a 120, short and siff backend with DT Swiss bolt thru and direct mount mech. When I’m not riding this bike I’m dreaming about riding this bike.

z1ppy

I like slack bikes and bought a whyte on the bases of a test ride, that felt ‘just right’ to me. That said, my 26er FS bike has the same head angle, the 29er does not feel the same (as slack).
    I’m left wondering how how Whyte have managed to get it so right, when supposedly the industry says 70° are as slack as you’d ever want…

Anyways, dependant on the size of your pocket, I’d add last years Whyte 829 (sold with 100mm & a 69°) which should come very close to the 2013 929 with 120mm & 67-68° headangle. So would probably handle the upgrade to 120mm well. The 829 seems to be a bit of a dark horse that many ppl have over looked (& the ones I’ve seen for sale 2nd hand had little interest) and the 929 sold out so quick, they seemingly never hit the showroom floor.

The 5/6/729 range are great bikes too, but the 8/929 ability to shorten the chainstay makes them that bit ‘better’, there well worth chasing down IMHO
    The 929 IMO is a Yelli for more jey-core or XXXXC rider 😉

oh and everyone seem to have forgotten the 2Soul’s Quarter Horse

montarius
    Free Member

Take a look at the Trek Stache http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Trek-Stache-8-Tested-2013.html

Slack geo with 120mm travel. Highly recommended

mattjg
    Free Member

Yelli, Buzzard (ridden both) or maybe that Sync up there though it would help (my daughter’s pocket money fund) if he didn’t keep banging on about it.

rewski
    Free Member

@ mattjg – sorry mate, can’t promise that, can’t see the novelty wearing off on this bike 🙂

nacho
    Free Member

rewski – that is beautiful but way beyond my budget!

Clobber
    Free Member

Shame the Sync doesn’t have the short chainstays of the others

rewski
    Free Member

Shame the Sync doesn’t have the short chainstays of the others

You wot? 43.8 is pretty short, Solaris is 43.5, Yelli is 42.4.

mattjg
    Free Member

Thought they were shorter than that myself. (Longer than a Solaris?)

Those few mm do make a difference IMO.

funkrodent

Interestingly the Maxlight Sync seems to be one of the only bikes (that I’ve read about anyway) that changes wheel size dependent on frame size, 650b for Small frames and 29″ for medium and large. Makes a lot of sense to me. All I need now is to win the lottery…

mattjg
    Free Member

No Solaris is 440 centre to centre (435 effective). The Sync is 43.8 centre to centre so presumably about 434, 433 effective. Nowt in it.

Just measured my Yelli, because I’m a sad f****r, 424 actual, 420ish effective.

rewski
    Free Member

@ Nacho – cheers, it’s definitely been worth saving for.

tomaso
    Free Member

@rewski recognise Eastbourne prom in photo and was done there last week seeing parents – rode over downs to Friston and roundabouts feeling very overbiked on my dual ply shod full susser that is suited to the Lakes. Felt the need for a bike at the other end of the spectrum and bought a Stache as couldn’t stretch to posh frame builds. Your Kinesis looks biz!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Yelli’s are good ……..and I know someone who has one for sale …..and he has some 120 forks he could do a deal on as well …. 😉

ratherbeintobago

Interestingly the Maxlight Sync seems to be one of the only bikes (that I’ve read about anyway) that changes wheel size dependent on frame size,

Ahem

There’s also, off the top of my head, a couple of Juliana bikes models which have a variable wheel size.

tomaso
    Free Member

Kona Taro is an ALU version of the Honzo

rewski
    Free Member

@ tomaso – thanks, yep that’s good old eastbourne, some great riding around, not quite Lakeland. That wasn’t you i saw in friston with the bouncy devinci and full face. Did you find all the trails? Would love to take the sync to the lakes one day.

NormalMan

Loving the look of your bike rewski.

I’ve just got my first 29er ht (albeit a steep one) and am completely sold on it.

mattjg
    Free Member

Yelli’s are good ……..and I know someone who has one for sale …..and he has some 120 forks he could do a deal on as well ….

True that, I got one, and 120mm is about right unless you’re doing real gnarrr.

But you can get a new Buzzard for less …

singlecrack
    Free Member

But it’s not a Yelli though .. 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

they are, undoubtedly, special

you still selling your N9?

tomaso
    Free Member

@rewksi not me on Devinci, battered Stumpjumper and only rode before breakfast as was on holiday with kids…
    Grew up in Eastbourne and started mountain biking there 20 years ago so knows trails quite well!
    It reminded me just how different riding in the UK can be and how much you can tune a bike for the local conditions – hence my Lakes bike did not like some of the long gentle climbs and open downland!

rewski
    Free Member

The climbs out of Jevington never feel that gentle to me, especially pentlands. I better grow a pair before I head to Lakeland 🙂

singlecrack
    Free Member

Matt …I never was selling my N9 ….it was just a dig at Clink …it was all the frames he’s had in the past couple of years (that I can remember). 😆

avdave2

What about a Lurcher and a slackset.

mattjg
    Free Member

rewski
    Free Member

Singletrack Mag this month: ‘2014 Objects of Desire’. Ibis, Santa cruz and @Kinesis_UK Maxlight SYNC! @singletrackmag

Tweet from Kinesis UK

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 29" HT frame with slack geometry’ is closed to new replies.