• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by poah.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me a 26" rim – strong, tubeless and cheap
  • jekkyl

I ride a soul as my main bike, currently have arch ex rims with hope hubs which have been great but they are just over 2 years old and the rear struggles to keep itself true. I get it trued up at my local lbs and within 2/3 weeks (after bashing it down loads of rocks and generally treating it like a full sus) it’s wobbling again. In retrospect I should have had the flow or flow ex.

I am looking to replace the rim and get the wheel rebuilt with something a bit stronger. Happy to shell out the £66 quid for a flow if it really warrants it but before I do any recommendations for tough tubeless rims? how about the superstar ones, at 30 quid odd the price is more palatable. Or should I not compromise and get the flow?
    Would likely be running 2.3 purgatory.
    Thanks

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Flow EX every time.
    Run them tubeless on both my 456Ti and my Patriot.

Stevet1
    Free Member

WTB i25

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

+1 for flows here
    I had flows on my previous 2 bikes and they always stayed pretty true. New bike has arch rims and the rear has needed truing already.
    For me the flows are worth the extra weight for a 12 stone rider who doesn’t have the most delicate riding style

chrishc777
    Free Member

I needed new rims and was after a flow ex type thong, concluded on dt ex471s but ended up getting a set of superstar carbon ams dirt cheap in their clearance sale

kiwijohn

I’ve been surprised how well my DT EX500’s are holding up after 3 & a half years of abuse.
    Tubeless up fine as well.

danti

I have a brand new never built up Flow (non Ex) sitting in the attic that I bought as a spare but have since moved to a 29er that I’d be willing to part with for considerably less than £66 if you’re interested.

Email in profile.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you can live with it not being black, I have given these a thorough thrashing and found them to be very tough and nicely stiff. Competitive on weight and easy tubeless too…

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/superstar-t-ready-ds25.htm

jekkyl

Thanks, I’ll email you later Danti, at work till 8.

danti

No worries, I’m at work till late but can take some pics.

Sui
    Free Member

I did what Chris up there did – they turned up today – nice and blingy Only need to convert the front hub to 15mm and i’m good to go. Chris King and Carbon bling for much cheapness..

nixon
    Free Member

Another vote for WTB i25 here, great value for a solid rim.

chrishc777
    Free Member

A mate has the superstar ds25 and they are taking alot of abuse with no issues

jekkyl

for anyone following Danti’s posting/selling history. His sales service is fantastic, posted the rim quick and very well wrapped.

sharkattack

Might as well chip in for anyone interested in an alternative to Flow’s. I use Nukeproof Generators on my Bfe with 2.3 Purgs.

They weren’t on my radar until I was given a cheap set but I’d buy them again. They’re always on offer on CRC.

I de-stickered them to make them less hideous and I’ve been beating the life out of them for about 2 years.

poah
    Free Member

DT swiss EX471 £50 from bike-discount

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 26" rim – strong, tubeless and cheap’ is closed to new replies.