Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • recommend me a 26" downhill rim please
  • breninbeener

I have pringled my rear wheel on my YT Tues. I havnt ridden it very hard but im aware that those DT rims have a reputation for being really soft.

My lbs says it cant be straightened, so can you recommend me a DH rim, or possibly a robust new wheel please?

thanks

cookeaa

Mavic EX 729…

Essentially the same as the old D321 rim, not light but certainly robust…

dbcooper
    Free Member
    breninbeener

Thanks guys

P-Jay
    Free Member

Mavic EX 729…

Essentially the same as the old D321 rim, not light but certainly robust…

Yep, they’re pretty old now, they’ve sold them for about 10 years or so, I’m not sure if they’re ever refined them over and above graphics, but they’re massively strong.

cookeaa

I know, I think I have three in the Garage (D321) all still in reasonable knick, which I’m gradually unlacing from Rims on the grounds of weight Vs my age related loss of Gnarr, I may well bung them up for sale at some point as I’ll probably have no further use for them and they’re still good for a fair few batterings IMO….

If you want a lighter Rim, I also reckon the EX721 is OK (again based on an older design) but it’s narrower and has a boxier profile….

gonzy
    Free Member

never had a problem with my atomlab dhr’s

_tom_
    Free Member

Mavic EX721 every time for me, I’ve had mine for years. I’ve bent other rims but these have stood up to everything I’ve thrown at them.

breninbeener

Thanks guys, my LBS is either going to get me a mavic ex 719 rim or a wheel! Should be riding clumsily again very soon! Thanks for your help

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

second/third the Mavic ex 721

legend
    Free Member

You really don’t want a 719! That’s a light XC rim

honourablegeorge

Been really happy with my E13 LG1 rims – and they’re ridiculously light.

Northwind

729 is a beast, they’re a weird mix though- hard to kill but actually quite soft, I put a couple of immense dents in mine. Quite different from say a 721 which is a much harder rim but easier to kill.

719 definitely not the right choice though!

I like the WTB Frequency i25… It’s probably on the weaker/lighter end of the scale but I was very happy with mine in the 224. It’s a good weight, wide, apparently stiff to build with and tubeless ready if you care about that. I cracked a Flow, mangled a Flow Ex, these are basically one step up the ladder and it was tough enough for me. Well priced too.

legend
    Free Member

DeNts? You could see through some of my old 321/729s they were that badly cracked. They never actually die though, about as fit and forget as you’ll find for a DH rim

deviant
    Free Member

I rate the EN521 as a bombproof option too, cheaper end of the scale if price is an issue.
    Mine never had problems holding tyres up to 2.5 and I never dented them…cracking them would take something truly superhuman I reckon!

jedimaster
    Free Member

EX823

breninbeener

Argh! So much choice….to be honest as a careful 50yr old i didnt think i would damage my new bike wheels so easily without noticing!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a 26" downhill rim please’ is closed to new replies.