Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a 2.5 rear tyre for Orange Five
  • FieldMarshall

Ran a Minion 2.5 dual ply in the Alps this summer and it was flawless in terms of both grip and pinch flat resistance.

However, in the UK I tend to run Nevegals, as they are much lighter. But as they come up big, have been running a 2.35 at the back. And it has been fine on local trails, Surrey Hills, Afan etc.

However, suffered a whole load of pinch flats this weekend when riding rocky stuff at Coed Y Brenin (even with tyre pumped up nice and hard), so guessing I need a bigger tyre for that kind of riding.

Fitted a 2.5 Nevegal for the Sunday and no problems with flats but it only gives a few mm of clearance and was rubbing the swingarm whenever it flexed.

What other large volume tyre could I run on a Five whilst still giving some clearance?

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

If you want pivch flat resistance why dont you try a mid weight tyre? Something like a maxxis lust?

iainc

2.35 rampage does the job on mine

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrNutt
    Free Member

2.35 LUST HR’s?

toys19
    Free Member

i use maxxis dh or freeride tubes, didnt have a single flat in morzine this summer and I’m a fat useless heavy landing git.

thomthumb
    Free Member

a wider tyre could make pinch flats worse. choose a wider rim, to make squarer profile tyre.

or just pump your tyre up more 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

Maxxis Advan or Rubber Queen? Both big for 2.4s and hard as…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I ran a dual ply 2.5 high roller supertacky in Spain last week, combined with 1/5th less air to breath and 25psi they were unbearable on the ups, but absolutelyfekinbrilliant on the downs.

Maxxis come up small, so I’d suggest maybe tracking down some 2.5 high roller single ply’s if they exist, or stick with 2.35’s, I don’t have problems with pinch those ans they come up more like 2.1.

Conti Rubber Queen’s seemed to be working just as well, although they came up much bigger than the maxxis (the 2.4 was wayyyyyy bigger than my 2.5’s, 2.2 looked comparable to my 2.5)

FieldMarshall

Thanks for all the advice.

Tyre was rock hard and still pinch flatted, so think I need some more volume for my weight/style. 🙂

Maxxis seem to come out favourite and I already know that I can get a 2.5 minion in there, but was just wondering if there was anything else worth trying.

I have a 2.5 single ply in the garage loft so will give it go.

Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What rims are you using?

thomthumb
    Free Member

so think I need some more volume for my weight/style

i still think you need a squarer profile… 😀

FieldMarshall

EN521s.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 2.5 rear tyre for Orange Five’ is closed to new replies.