Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me a 2 day route in the Black Mountains with overnight bivvy
  • dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Hi All

As the title says really. Heading up there in a couple of weeks and looking for 2 days of riding with a good, remote overnight bivvy spot. As a rough guide, 5-7 hrs riding day 1 and 3-5 hrs day 2. Circular route please as I’d need to get back to the car.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Anyone?

thomthumb
    Free Member
    trickydisco
    Free Member

i’m keen on hearing about this. I was going to try my 1st bivvy up there at some point

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve heard there’s a waterfall around brecon beacons as well.

EDIT: found it

trickydisco
    Free Member
    dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Thanks for those bits and pieces. Thought there would be more info out there. Best plan a route myself then and post it up when done.

Diawl
    Free Member

That’s Sgwd yr Eira near Ystradfellte ^. You can pretend you’re in The Last of the Mohicans 😆

valleydaddy
    Free Member

there is tons of places you could bivvy at, just depends where you want to start from.

ohsoslow
    Free Member

My money would be on the Tour of the Black Mountains 120 mile route. It even passes the waterfall.

Route here: http://www.abergavennyfestivalofcycling.co.uk/abergavennyEvent.aspx?id=140

At 82km you’ve got Llwyn-on reservoir, 142km Pontsticill reservoir or at 150km Talybont for an overnight stop (if waters your thing)

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

ohsoslow

Thanks – that looks perfect!

Janesy
    Free Member

^^ thats via road though.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

^^ thats via road though.

Just checked, you’re right. Back to the drawing board then!

Marko

OK, How about this:

Park Crickhowell, down by the river.
    North to BW at 237227 (Neuadd Fawr).
    BW to spot height at 617 (204286).
    Choice now, but aim for Pengenfford.
    BW south next to road. Ends at 186271.(Do not use the foot bridge, but pedal the stream for a laugh).
    Road NW to col at Cockit hill.
    BW Sth to 153266 – pay your respects at the grave of Kevin Thomas.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/28143475@N00/3627832015/
    Up the hill to 159250.
    Descend down to Bwlch.
    Down to canal at Llangyndir.Along canal or BW option.
    Pub – Star at Talybont.
    Bivy – Woods behind Talybont.
    Next day ride the Gap or head up the valley for a bandit run over the Llangattock escarment back to the car.

Lots of options to extend or curtail this route. If you do end up in the Pub, best to have some money. We only had a little bit of cash and no card. We had to choose between food or beer!
    Hth
    Marko

pedalhead
    Free Member

That waterfall is ace. So is the hike-a-bike up the other side 😉

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Marko

Cheers for that, just marked that out on an OS map and looks good! Llangattock bandit run sounds good. Got chased off there years ago rock climbing by the local farmer who was a complete nutter if I remember. Said he was going home to get his Sons and his shotgun! Threatened the cavers with blowing up the cave entrances etc. Ah – fun times….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 2 day route in the Black Mountains with overnight bivvy’ is closed to new replies.