• This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by core.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a £1k hardtail.
  • greenman
    Free Member

I’m a 2 wheeled ‘rambler’, no jumping or racing.
    I prefer Shimano, have always ridden steel but could be swayed.
    I’m a short ar5e so would prefer 26 or 27.5 wheels.
    Last new MTB was bought 15 years ago but my son has just claimed it!

core
    core

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/27/latitude-10

Genesis make nice riding bikes, this one’s steel, 650b, and reasonably spec’d for the price.

core

Aluminium frame (they still ride very nicely), Deore rather than alivio http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/27/core-30

peakyblinder
    Free Member

genesis latitude 10 under budget or 20 over it. Good fames, if I’m honest I think they got the parts packages a bit daft this year. But weight aside, even budget kit is so good now (alivio chainset and raidon forks have performed really well for me since last year). I’m told the custom steel they are using is basically just a decent unlicensed reynolds-520-alike and feels pretty good.

I’m very tempted by the high latitude 10 as a “I’d love a solaris but I’d feel over-biked” option this summer.

core

High latitude frame looks nice, don’t mind the green even, reasonable price, but not sure what fork it’s designed for?

spawnofyorkshire

I’d say the steel genesis looks the better deal of the two. Same fork, same brakes, same wheels, same finishing kit, same weight and only difference is the alloy one has a better rear derailleur that could be fitted by yourself for £25.
    I’ve ridden the old 26″ latitude and really enjoyed it and would hope this would be similar
    Edit: Also ridden on a radion fork, it’s absolutely fine for the type of riding you’re going to use it for

peakyblinder
    Free Member

High latitude does look nice in green – paint is well finished too. It’s designed for 100mm forks. I may end up building on that as I think I could do something close to the built 10 price but with a used reba and slx. But even the 10 is a step up in spec from what I am riding now so would be appreciated.

bur70n
    Free Member

I am doing the same at moment and have come across the Merdia Big Nine 800 which has a lovely spec.

core

peakyblinder
    High latitude does look nice in green – paint is well finished too. It’s designed for 100mm forks. I may end up building on that as I think I could do something close to the built 10 price but with a used reba and slx. But even the 10 is a step up in spec from what I am riding now so would be appreciated.

Looks very nice indeed, not that I should even be looking given my current stable – STW’s highest recommended – 26″ Cotic Soul, and a 29″ Scandal……….

peakyblinder
    Free Member

I might pick up a used soul yet as there seems to be a lot getting sold now that 26 is dead (<-JOKE). Refurbing my charge duster though at the moment which does a good poor mans soul impression. In fact OP – there are so many good used 26ers on ebay if you don’t mind going that route. Maybe budget a bit for a good service, new chain/cassette/cables/pads etc.

I think the £1000 price bracket is amazing right now. In fact there are 5 and 600 quid bikes that would hold nobody back most of the time.

core

That’s true Voodoo bikes from the dreaded Halfords have traditionally been very good, they’re now doing Kona’s too – and nearly always have a sale on.

Failing that, a higher spec. (obsolete – ha) older model 26″ bike from Pauls Cycles or Winstanleys could be had online for very reasonable money.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a £1k hardtail.’ is closed to new replies.