Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Recommend me a 110BCD road compact chainset for a commuter bike
  • Sheff
    Free Member

I’ve been having heaps of trouble finding a nice light 110BCD compact road chainset. I dont want to do go for 130 as I want to gear it a little lower than 50/34. But I dont want a triple. BB size is 68mm. Anyone any ideas?

Cheers
    S

simondbarnes

How will you gear it lower than 34? Hardly anyone makes a 33t 110 ring iirc.

traildog
    Free Member

Surely whatever you can find for a good price? You can over think things you know and it’s only a commuting bike. What do you want to spend? A Shimano R600 is about 90ish quid I think.
    I guess 46/34 is geared lower? Or you meant lower than 53/39..

ourmaninthenorth

Buy a cassette with a 27 sprocket.

34×27 is pretty low.

hautgrimpeur
    Free Member

TA Vega crankset is very nice. Square taper BB so you can fit a UN54 and forget about it for a few years. Plenty of choice of rings too, 48/34 combined with a 10sp 12/27 cassette will do just about everything.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Middleburn with a dual atb spider?

Sugino do a nice compact if you’re after square taper called the Alpina.

If you want some dirt cheap cranks I’d recommend these – there are basically Sugino/Stronglight Impact crank with no name on them. For £20 you can’t really go wrong (and there’s a triple version too if you want).
    Spa XD-2 cranks

If you want some retro shiney ones have a look at this US guy – he ships to UK
    Velo-Orange

If you want 2-piece, it’ll be either SRAM Rival (or S350 or Truvativ Elita version), Shimano R600 or maybe a Campag one (mind, the new Campy cranks run their own proprietary chainring system with one bolt off centre just to annoy you).

And if you really want a low ratio compact, check out Stronglight Oxale 2 (also from Spa) – its a double CD 94bcd chainset running 29/44 as standard!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

By the way, the old Campag ‘CT’ square taper (Veloce/Centaur etc.) chainsets were very light, just a pain that you had to use Campags b/brackets – I had a Veloce one give up after 50 miles! Then again another one last a very long time, Italian quality control I suppose.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 110BCD road compact chainset for a commuter bike’ is closed to new replies.