Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me a new slack f/s bike
  • adam5555

Hello,

Im looking for some inspiration for a new build that is slacker, more jumpy, more downhill oriented than my current 05 horst linked 5-spot. I want something useable in the UK so not a full on Downhill/freeride bike but im not expecting an allround trail bike I know Il have to put up with a bit of struggling on the ups. Something like the Transition bottlerocket, SX trail, Blur LT, Nomad etc. Views of owners of these and similar appriecated.

chakaping
    Free Member

Orange Blood springs to mind.

Only demoed one but it was lots of fun and would seem to fit your bill.

molgrips
    Free Member

Blood looks good, as a Patriot replacement.

ahwiles
    Free Member

The Lapeter spicy i rode was heaps of fun – ok on the ups, perfect for the downs. very solid, surprisingly light.

i decided against the spicy in the end; cos i couldn't get on with the bent-back seat tube. i've got long legs, and with the saddle at a comfy climbing height i could barely reach the handlebars and the front end would go a bit 'wandery' riding up steep stuff.

awesome bikes, wish i had shorter legs… maybe a giant reign X?

jimmy

I'm getting a Yeti ASR5 for its slack-yet-light-do-it-all-ness.

adam5555

Blood could be an option. had looked at the Alpine 160 but didnt really like the look of it but that does look a bit neater, similar in looks to the bottle rocket really.

adam5555

Spicy and the yeti are a bit to trail. Too similar to what i have already. yeti 4x could be intersting though.

backhander
    Free Member

Knolly endorphin?
    http://knollybikes.com/bikes/endorphin

PM me for additional details.

Digger90
    Free Member

adam – what size is your 5 Spot? I 'm looking for an HL Spot…

GW
    Free Member

Mondraker Summum 😛

the 4 bikes you've quoted have next to **** all in common, make your mind up what you want it to do best

crankrider
    Free Member

If you like a frame or your current frame you could try offset reducer cups – they started doing them for integrated / tapered headtubes now.

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk

I have some in my intense…. love the bike now!

steveh

Marin quad 140, mines got a head angle around 65/66 with some 36's on. Great traction up hill and fantastic to ride down.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

i decided against the spicy in the end; cos i couldn't get on with the bent-back seat tube. i've got long legs, and with the saddle at a comfy climbing height i could barely reach the handlebars and the front end would go a bit 'wandery' riding up steep stuff.

Did you not think of trading the layback post in for a straight post? Or was that too much trouble? 😉

ash.addy
    Free Member

I didn't think it was that "bent-back"

Sancho
    Free Member

I rode the same peter as Adam and I have shorter legs and I found it perfect for climbubg and descending very slack head angle means you cant ride it like a normal xc bike, you have to think more like a DH machine on the descents, defo recommend the Spicy.

adam5555

the 4 bikes you've quoted have next to **** all in common, make your mind up what you want it to do best

I reckon they are all slacker and more downhill type bikes than the 5spot. What would be the point of suggesting 5 similar bikes and asking which was best? They'd be the same.
    Im never going to sell the 5spot so the trail bike is taken care of. Im not looking for something that I can ride all day up and down. I want something that is good for jumps, good for downhill blasts, general mucking about,maybe some occasional foreign chairlift type stuff. I know it sounds like I need a downhill bike but I just cant see a 45 pound 8 inch monster getting enough use in the Uk.

I think there is a gap in the market for a slack 4-5-6 inch f/s bike in the uk. I guess im probably needing something like a 4x bike.

Will have another look at the spicy though thought it was more of a trail bike but maybe it might fit the bill…

cheers

ash.addy
    Free Member

If you do buy try and get a 2009 model then spend the extra cash on necessary upgrades, I'm still working on mine the only std parts are the suspension / brakes / Headset /BB and slx running gear which is excellent.

freeridenick
    Free Member

marin wolf ridge – really sweet rig. only 140mm of travel, but 66 inch HT with Pikes on and a low bottom bracket. perfect UK mini DH/play bike. rides like alot more and with maxles both ends tracks really well.

review
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/wolf-ridge-08-29047

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Streuth, thats a well protected swingarm…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'd have an LP zesty in a flash if I could justify the frankly silly prices being asked for full sussers these days.

O-O 456 is very similar handling with 140mm forks.

Very tempted to sell all my bikes and buy a zesty 514 though and negiotiate an upgrade to 20mm forks.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Another vote for a Marin 140mm (146mm on the 2010 ones I think) Quad Link offering. Lyriks on mine. HA is 66 degrees or thereabouts and it's a hoot.

freeridenick
    Free Member

rockplough – thats sounds like a real hoot!

lunge

What don't you like about the Alpine? if you've already got a trail bike then i would have said it would be a good option.

Useable going uphill (if you're prepared to sit and spin), you can customise your spec and absolutely mental going downhill.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Heather Bash I like the bike sooo much I don't intend getting rid of it at all. It's enough bike for me and I'm never likely to outgrow it.
    especially with the xtr chainset and 819's with CK hubs

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Definitely a Nomad. Had one out for half a day and was amazed at how well it climbed – and that was the older model before they introduced the new VPP system a la BLT. Designed around a 160 fork so exactly what you want and would be 32-34lbs built so not too heavy. A few are used on the Scottish Downhill series so quite happy to take big jumps and drops

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new slack f/s bike’ is closed to new replies.