Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommend cheap good tubless tyre?
  • dogmatix

Apologies if this is a done topic. Couldn’t find anything in the search… wanting to know if there is any such thing as a good cheap (£20-£25) UST tyre? They are for basic trail riding/all mountain-tastic, not XC not DH. So looking for something around 2.2 inch and preferably around 800-900g. Is that a very tall order? Also, never used tubless before but getting a second hand pair of tubeless ready rims so thought I’d give it a burn. Cheers…. 🙂

Northwind

Specialized have a good range and they’re normally cheaper than the competition. They’re tubeless ready rather than UST but tbh UST tyres are an idea that just didn’t really work out, even Mavic are moving on now

BoomBip
    Free Member

^^^ what he said – plus Spesh are doing the 2.3 Purgatory for £20 each at the moment if you trade in an old tyre.

EDIT – Specialized Tyre Amnesty

dogmatix

cool cheers I’ll have a google for the specialized…

jonnyrockymountain

Another vote here specialized
    2 bliss purgetry or ground control

tmb467
    Free Member

At those prices they’re better value than On One chunky monkeys

Must dig out some old tyres!

tom200

Spech ground control/purgatory control is pretty good fit and forget combo, cheap too.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Was going to suggest the On One Smorgasbord which I’ve been using tubeless for months now. They go up a treat, don’t cost much, wear and grip well and I’m more than pleased with them. I did buy them (and some spares) when they cost buttons though…

Might have a squint as the Spesh too.

spooky_b329

Yep no need for UST, overly expensive and heavy.

I prefer Bontrager Tubeless Ready tyres, use Mud X, XR2 (Summer tyre), FR3 which is a big volume tyre but light and fast rolling due to a centre ridge.

Budget for some stans sealant.

pb2

Spesh, I have an attic full of tyres that failed to make the grade but Spesh tubeless are not one of them and they have improved my 29er no end.

dogmatix

cheers chaps… thats a great help. I might do a bit more looking for tubless ready, but the speshy deal does look good. I’ll try and find a dealer doing it.

dogmatix

To update, I had a look and did like the look of the Smorgasbord but found it difficult to know what weight and type i was getting with their tyre chooser… so opted to pop to evans and do the specialized amnesty. So now have a nice new pair of purgatories at a very good price, so thanks all for your help. I’ve now got to fathom how this stans sealant works when it comes in the post! yikes!…

jonnyrockymountain

its easy, if I can do it, anyone can!

wiggles
    Free Member

Purgs are easiest tyre to do tubeless I have ever done so should be fine.

dogmatix

I think I’m lucky in that the 2nd hand XT’s I bought dont seem to need rim tape, they seem sealed all around the rim (no holes for spokes just blank metal) and they already come with valves. Do I need to do all this washing up liquid business I’ve seen? And do i have to use stans sealant? I’ve got some I just wondered if they would seal on their own seeing as the wheels and purgatories are tubless ready? I can hear eyes rolling at the tubless newbie questions! 😉

welshfarmer

The purgatory is easy to pop on tubeless (done mine last night). Put the tyre on the rim, go all round the gap between tyre and rim with a washing up brush dipped in soapy water, inflate. Then deflate, pop a section of tyre off, pour in sealant, tyre back on, blow up. Do the disco shake with the wheel to spread the sealant. Job done.

goodgrief
    Free Member

Add a bit of sealant, doesn’t matter what brand.
    The tyre should be a good tight fit on the rim, if it’s too loose to inflate, add a layer of tape.

jambon
    Free Member

Can’t heap enough prise on Spesh Butcher Controls.

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-butcher-control-tyre-pair-2013

Fat, sticky, light, inexpensive and roll well.

dogmatix

Cheers Welshfarmer… twas as simple as that. I’m delighted. Or at least i was until i went for a ride and i realised just going tubless wasn’t going to make me up to XC pro standards. Now all my hopes have been dashed. You may say my expectations were too high, but i like to think the technology has let me down once again. Always blame the tools!

So I’m learning all the time, saw a youtube watsit and it said you need to carry around a bit of kit. like a tubless repair kit, co2, a tyre boot and a spare tube? Is all this necessary? or is the repair kit and co2 enough?

Northwind

Most folks carry a tube and boot. (I’ve loaned that tube out many times, only used it myself twice I think, but it’s worth having).

riddoch

Another happy Specilized purgatory user, they are great more than worth the £30. Track pump and a bit of soapy water and they inflated straight away on flows (core out of the valve though to get enough air in fast enough).
    They stayed inflated overnight without sealant too.

dogmatix

cheers Northwind… will go for the tube option…

speedstar

If you’re using Stan’s DO NOT, I mean DO NOT use CO2! it causes instant dry, stringy latex as I found out to my great sadness and what made for great humour for my mates on Saturday at Ballater! It dries out the sealant immediately rendering it all useless. I don’t think all sealants are like this but Stan’s specifically say on their website this will happen, so it’s my own fault, but lesson learnt for sure!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommend cheap good tubless tyre?’ is closed to new replies.