Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • recommend a torque wrench?
  • theendisnigh
    Free Member

I would like to get a torque wrench for maintaining my capra linkage, any good value/accurateish wrenches out there? 7-20Nm range for the linkage.

superleggero
    Free Member

This one from Wiggle that’s £30, 2-24nm range, and comes with a decent set of bits: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-torque-wrench-set/

I have been using a very similar looking one (but BBB branded) for a few years, building and maintaining 3 bikes and am very pleased with it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Be warned that a torque wrench is only any good if it’s calibrated properly and they are treated well. It should be calibrated from new but they need servicing often which is costly and for cheap wrenches may as well buy a new one.

One of mine has been playing up and not triggering when it clearly should. I snapped bolts on my linkages as a result. Well that and the torque spec Santa Cruz list is stupidly high, but still I knew the feel from having done it plenty of times and thought this can’t be right, seems way too much, oops, snap. Had a few other things I felt clearly should have triggered by now and stopped.

I find my larger torque wrench for the higher stuff is more reliable than the small torque. I don’t trust it now and tend to do small stuff by hand to what feels right.

duncancallum

Just go to a good tool supplier n buy a teng one.

They’re not the best but for the cash they are ok. I’ve no complaints with my 2

iainc

That Wiggle one is identical to a brand new Giant one I have, which is surplus to requirements. Drop me a mail if you want it for £20 posted

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘recommend a torque wrench?’ is closed to new replies.