Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Recommend a toaster
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Not as simple as it sounds !

Been there done that with a Duilit and quite frankly apart from nearly burning our house down twice with the design fault of a timer switch it was unsatisfying and over priced.

I don’t think a mega amount of £££ needs to be spent but let’s say up to £30 ? Who knows it maybe that a cheap Asda special is the one !

Tell me your toasty tales !

1st one to post red dwarf post wins a piece of toast !

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Would you like some toast?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

No I smegging don’t !

Do really!

sirromj

I hear Barry McGuigan is very good.

Sorry.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Aah, so you’re a waffle man.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

red dwarf fans please refrain from toast references !

binners

Crumpet?

BikePawl
    Free Member

unfitgeezer – Member
    red dwarf fans please refrain from toast references !

What about Battlestar Galactica fans

maccruiskeen

oldnpastit

Our Dualit has never burned the house down. We’ve had it for ages (5+ years) with no problems.

It replaced a series of increasingly expensive pop-up toasters which would keep failing with depressing regularity and leave us having toastless breakfasts.

Pricey though.

pondo

I bought a Tefal Toast N Egg on a whim when our last toaster keeled over, we find it to be a perfectly adequate toaster two round with the added bonus of being able to produce soft-boiled eggs in minutes with ease. Colour us happy. 🙂

binners

Tefal Toast N Egg? What witchcraft is this?

EDIT: I’ve just had a look and I need one of those in my life! I love the way that modern consumer capitalism constantly improves my life with things I didn’t know I needed 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We have a real cheap nasty brand one that someone gave us for free a few years back.

Officially the best toaster ever.

I know that doesn’t really help.

DezB
    Free Member

Saw a bloke on telly – took apart some stupidly expensive middle class ponces toaster (Dualit probly) and a cheapie MacDonalds eating throw the bag out the car window council estate Argos job.
    They were the same inside. Element no better in the overpriced ooh look at my toaster aren’t I posh with it next to my range one than the cheap one. So just get one the right colour for your kitchen I reckon.

smashit
    Free Member

Got a Breville 4-slice, but one that has two long slots rather than 4 short ones. Great for your spelt/rye/sourdough* cobs that don’t fit in a normal size toast slot.

Like this one: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4234061

*Insert your choice of STW suitable artisan and/or homemade loaf!!!

Cougar

I hear Barry McGuigan is very good.

Inspired by the George Foreman grill, I got a Frank Bruno toaster. Never again, did three rounds and it was knackered.

TimP
    Free Member

We too have a Toast N Egg. Very pleased with it. It does toast n eggs

thestabiliser
    Free Member

We got our urban blacksmith to curate us set of bespoke toasting forks upcycled from the derelict boiler of a swan fetching traction engine we then toast our biodynamic spelt farmhouse cobs on our whole house heating woodburner, that previously belonged to isambard kingdom we Brunel. We find giant redwood or Joshua tree logs give the optimal toasting heat. We have also had slots engineered into the top of our aga as an additional optional entitlement for when we have guests, which is all the time.

nickc

My Dulit has never burned my house down either, as mostly, luckily for me my fire alarm always goes off to remind me my toast is done

Joy

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Cougar 🙂

Have had a Duallit for 10 years trouble free, likewise had cheapies last for similar. OP you are correct no need to soend ££££. TBH we bought the ones which we liked the look of the most, stainless vs white plastic depending on kitchen decoration.

DezB
    Free Member

depending on kitchen decoration

Someone should come up with that suggestion.

dmck16
    Free Member

Genuinely impressed with my Bosch. The elements aren’t thin wires – they’re big thick things, similar to a bar heater.

(the matching kettle with adjustable temperature options on the base unit has been brilliant so far too.)

Bosch Styline

perchypanther
    Free Member

So, what is it?

wombat

Get an AGA*, they make the best toast.

*May be a bit over budget due to the need to refit the entire kitchen.

pondo

We too have a Toast N Egg. Very pleased with it. It does toast n eggs

When I grow up, I’m getting their flagship Toast N Eggs N Beans model. 🙂

wwaswas

Our Duallit’s been fine too.

Made just up the road in Crawley too.

newrobdob
    Free Member

“We too have a Toast N Egg. Very pleased with it. It does toast n eggs

When I grow up, I’m getting their flagship Toast N Eggs N Beans model. “

Surely the flagship model must include bacon in some way???

ade9933
    Free Member

Our Duallit’s been fine too…. only had it 11 years mind so probably about to die any day now. 🙂

allfankledup

We buy our toasters from Costco – this then gives it a couple of years guarantee.

The toaster will fail in that period, Costco replace it without quibble.

Doesn’t matter what brand – they all die

pondo

Surely the flagship model must include bacon in some way???

That – that – would be amazing.

Harry_the_Spider

Standards on here are slipping. Tsk.

johnx2
    Free Member

I first thought:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2day-i-officially-became-middle-aged-chinos-what-was-your-milestone-to-middleage

but then realised

after deciding no one was going to get a Rankin Roger reference…

Sundayjumper

We have a Braun that I bought in 2004, still going strong. One long slot (fnarr). It has a setting for frozen bread that works really well. The only problem with it is that it’s not very tall, I assume because it’s German, so if you have a non-ISO sized loaf you have to put the slices in on their side and you can only really do one at a time.

DezB
    Free Member

no one was going to get a Rankin Roger reference..

Yeah, far too obscure 😉

[video]https://youtu.be/m71w9ulZZRw[/video]

imn

Genuinely impressed with my Bosch. The elements aren’t thin wires – they’re big thick things, similar to a bar heater.

(the matching kettle with adjustable temperature options on the base unit has been brilliant so far too.)

Bosch Styline
    We’ve got one of these, and wouldn’t buy again. The elements might be big thick bars but the raise/lower mechanism is insubstantial and easily bent**.

**Maybe my sourdough is too much for it and a sliced white wouldn’t hurt it.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I bought one yesterday a Philips 4 slice jobbie 30 quid on ebay got a good review, people review toasters I’ve discovered. I expect like all the others it will in fact produce crispy dried through bread as it’s too feeble to actually brown it quickly which is a failing of all modern bread toasting equipment in this age of energy ratings. I want bread browned in 30 seconds so it stays bready inside. Not bloody French toast.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

@joolsburger as mentioned previously .. get an aga (disclaimer: other lumps of flat hot metal are available).
    Just make sure the plate hasn’t cooled too much through the use of the kettle beforehand.

If the hot plate has cooled too much, toast directly on the simmering plate [with a silicon cover on the plate] (also good for toasties).

If both top plates have insufficient heat, use a baking tray in the top of the roasting oven.

…. It occurs to me for the first time that with fast hands I could probably make 16 rounds of toast at once :O)

Thats dinner sorted…

jobless
    Free Member

We bought our toaster when we bought our kettle in 1998. Both still going. Both Dualit.

The thing with Dualit though, is that “They dont make ’em like the used to”. Lots of metal parts have been replaced with plastic or lower-grade materials in some way.

Buying now, I would get Sage.

OR get a De Lorian and a Dualit.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Maybe newer Dualit’s have changed, but mine from about 10 years ago is going strong and never burnt the house down. Always reliable browning for the same setting.

Gone through loads of crappy plastic toasters, cheap and expensive. Variable results with each toast, levers that break especially the stop button (if they have one at all), and rubbish guides inside that allow wonky bread to get stuck. Plastic finishes discolour with heat.

Frequently non maintainable so bin and buy new. Dualit can always get parts for.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a toaster’ is closed to new replies.