Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend a steel hard tail with the biggest reach?
  • Paul-j

My dad is interested in buying a bike. He is 6’5 with long arms.
    He has sat on my geomentron (longest) and said how good the fit is. But no point in him spending silly money.

I was thinking a 29er steel hardtail frame then try and build a bike for under 1k. Possible cotic solaris XL.

Any ideas or frames kicking about in sheds for sale?

biglee1

whay a steel frame? narrows the already limited choice of bikes big enough (I’m 6″6′ so feel the pain!)

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Kona do some pretty big frames. A 6’7″ mate has a Hoss.

I am looking at Solaris for my more petite 6’4″ self.

chakaping
    Free Member

Genesis High Latitude 2016, now replaced by the Tarn – both nice long reach.

Longer chainstays on the Tarn, but some people like that I know.

Kona Honzo is even longer, if he doesn’t mind a weighty frame…
    http://konaworld.com/honzo_st_frame.cfm

otsdr
    Free Member

BTR Chaser XC geo chart says 480mm for the XL, as opposed to the 458mm on the Solaris.

l.e. Genesis 490, Kona 510.

Paul-j

Just thought steel would have a bit more flex, bit more forgiving.

ideally a short travel full suss, but cant see finding one xl or xxl then build it up for a grand.

Moon on a stick I believe the term is.

ton

cube ltd 29er is the longest I have has…..I am huge.
    alloy tho.

philtricklebank

I’m 6′ 7″ with a massive reach. Titus Fireline Evo (titanium not steel) is big enough. It has a rather unfashionable 80mm stem though, but my arms are stupidly long.

chiefgrooveguru

If you forego steel and 29″ wheels then you can get a complete Bird Zero TR for under £1100, which has a 675mm ETT and 495mm reach (static – once sagged it’ll be about 510mm).

Gotama
    Free Member

The later incarnations of the Transition Transam have a pretty decent reach albeit I suspect you would have to pick one up second hand to be in budget. Not sure they would be comfy either.

Depending on what he is going to be doing what about something like an XL Singular Swift? Not the greatest in the reach stakes but handling won’t be ruined with a long stem so should be enough space for him.

Paul-j

putting in some miles local round oxfordshire but then some all day trips in wales, and a few trail centers FOD etc.

core

That Bird Zero looks just the ticket to me.

pickle
    Free Member

Stanton switchback long

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Not exactly what you asked but Mondraker seem to cater well for tall people.

Mondraker Vantage.

Paul-j

No the mondraker I had debated

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a steel hard tail with the biggest reach?’ is closed to new replies.