Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend a spot for a family holiday in the Highlands – Mallaig?
  • Garry_Lager

Thinking of an Easter break with the (pregnant) missus and the bairn (nearly 3). Any tips for a destination in the Highlands?

Was looking at Mallaig, initially because of the awesome train journey. No car at the other end, though, is a problem (although we could hire one I guess). It seems that Mallaig might be a nice spot in any case though, and we were wondering about driving up. You can go places on the train and the ferries etc in the day, and there seems to be a fair bit to do with kids. Anyone been with the family?

druidh
    Free Member

Err Mallaig itself is a bit dreary. A real back-water.

Arisiag, on the other hand, is lovely. You still have access to the train but you also have some of the best beaches in the world a short walk away at Back of Keppoch.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Mallaig is a dive in my experience

Tobermory is good for families

Parts of the Moidart peninsular (SW of MAllaig) are fantastic and the railway isn’t too far away

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Plockton is rather pleasant and you can get train/drive to Skye

Garry_Lager

Thanks both – looks like some v nice suggestions.

Good job I asked really :-). Must have been hoodwinked by the Mallaig tourist office website.

thegreatape
    Free Member

How long for? Arisaig is lovely for beaches, but a week might be pushing it a bit, maybe? I reckon you’ll be bored of Mallaig in about 15 minutes.

Kit
    Free Member

Cairgorm Plateau? Make sure you take a tent each, and pitch well off the main path 😉

crankboy
    Free Member

Mallaig has fish and chips a Morrison’s and Addy Rae’s fish shop and that is it . It id also at the end of the road and rail line so you will spend your time back tracking to visit any where .
    I have been going to Ardnamurchan( two peninsulas down) for years. It is a 6 to 7 hour drive from Leeds , very quiet has excellent scenery and a truly stunning beach also easy trips to a couple of castles boat links to mull and a natural history center that can amuse the easily entertained for an hour. Mallaig and fort William are an easy drive away.

We now stay at garmoransquare.com?. because it is lovely and relaxing and comfortable enough to enjoy when you stay in when the weather is bad.

If you go at Easter expect blazing sun, rain, wind, and snow often in the same day.

2tyred

Not a lot to do in Mallaig if the weather’s not good.

If you don’t mind going further east, then Boat of Garten (just north of Aviemore) is a brilliant base. Loads of bad weather options nearby, steam train, great woods, play parks – perfect for a near-3yo.

Oh, and awesome doorstep riding options too!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not technically highlands, but Arran, Lamlash precisely. Gorgeous wee place with great biking, awesome walking, good food, and Auchrannie spa just along the road for the wife.

Done.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I have been going to Ardnamurchan( two peninsulas down) for years. It is a 6 to 7 hour drive from Leeds

How the heck do you do Ardamurchan in that time? Takes me 7 hrs to Ft Willy (from Boroughbridge) & I’ve been over to Ardnamurchan from there, stayed at Strontian 2 yrs ago. I know the road’s been sorted a bit but 7 hrs is quick!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a spot for a family holiday in the Highlands – Mallaig?’ is closed to new replies.